Afro-Puerto Rican bomba and plena music. Lead by percussionist Tito Matos, this group has energy plus. The bomba features call/response vocals, rhythmic compositions and percussion. The plena is similar but uses different drums & often has a narrative theme. Read the notes for fuller (and more coherent than I can give) explanations. All tracks feature great drumming and a lead vocalist & chorus, so there’s not much variation between them.
*1. A fast, fiery plena.
2. Midtempo plena with a nice atmospheric quality.
*3. Relaxed bomba w/wailing male vox & chorus.
*4. Fast. The drums really get going on this one.
5. Midtempo w/nice lead vocals/chorus.
6. Midtempo with lots of shaking percussion.
7. Bells make this a bright, happy, clinking sound.
8. Uptempo bomba.
*9. Warm vocals, good percussion mid/uptempo plena.
*10. Mid/uptempo with some fast/intricate drumming & vox.
11. Fast & busy plena w/good energy.
12. A capella intro, then a fast drum-driven plena.