|Nuclear Rabbit / Mutopia|
|Add Date:||2004-10-04||Pull Date:||2004-12-06||Charts:||Loud|
|Week Ending:||10 Oct|
|1.||Wed, 06 Oct 04:||crisco jones|
press and release
|Ragnar of Ravensfjord|
Nuclear Rabbit - Mutopia (Nuclear Rabbit.com) It seems like these weirdos have been around since at least 1989. Plus, they remind me of a lot of what was big in 1989-90 - that mix of metal, funk and random weirdness that Primus and Mr. Bungle originally did before it quickly got stale. The vocals sound like Mike Patton if he was possessed by “Timmay” from “South Park”. So that style can only be amusing for so long. There’s some kinda fun stuff on here but nothing terribly spectacular. |
(1) Air raid sirens ala “War Pigs”
((2)) WTF? Heavy funky goof-off metal with a tiny bit of death metal. Mike Patton and “Timmay” exchange vocal parts. This one is twisted but kinda ok. Should’ve been a lot shorter though.
(((3))) straight-ahead riffing in hard rock/metal style with low-end boogie-funk with ridicously silly vocals. The chorus is good & the lyrics are just random bits that sorta fit into a story.
((4)) Mostly mellow with some burst of loud heavy rock & funky fusion.
(((5))) Minimal, mellow keyboards with weird off-kilter, kind of Sleepytime Gorilla Museum style. Good stuff.
(((6))) Loud & thudding rifffing, bass then some story-telling vibe with a Mucky Pup style. FCCs Motherfucker 0:33, fuck 0:39, ya fucks 1:18
(7) Ugh! Are they going for the top 40 here? Accessible boring “metal-core” mixed with Faith No More reject style.
((8)) Drums and loose funky style with a bit of metal but WTF is with the vocals? Is this Extreme Elvis? Oy vey!
(9) So-so “groove riffing” with more of that early Mr. Bungle/Faith No More worship. Next!
((10)) Funny as hell, jazzy lounge number but it’s totally FCC-uncool!
((11)) Surreal lyrics and some good riffs and slap bass overkill mixed with some loungey breakdowns
(((12))) Super-silly intro then even sillier cartoon Cuban gangsters doing black metal? Yeah something like that.
(13) Jazzy funky, with death metal breakdowns - sounds too uncomfortably close to a “funny” Red Hot Chilli Peppers to me.
(14) Low-fi noise, distortion and dub-beats and someone sort of talking in the background.