|Black Lips! / We Did not Know the Forest Spi|
|Album:||We Did not Know the Forest Spi||Collection:||General|
|Add Date:||2004-08-23||Pull Date:||2004-10-25|
|Week Ending:||31 Oct||24 Oct||10 Oct||3 Oct||26 Sep||19 Sep||12 Sep||5 Sep|
|1.||Jul 03, 2015:||Breakaway Bluff |
|4.||Apr 16, 2009:||Death Row Radio |
|2.||May 19, 2011:||Daydream Disaster |
Time of the Scab
|5.||Apr 10, 2009:||brick |
|3.||Nov 13, 2010:||Music Casserole |
Time of the Scab
|6.||Jul 19, 2007:||Fiction Romance |
|Elias (Dr Furious)|
Jesus Christ, Black Lips! are the GARAGE PUNK that makes Lester Bangs turn sides in his grave! This CD is a garage punk jewell (on the BOMP! label to boot). Vintage 60s "garage punk unknown" sound (see nuggets, pebbles, mindrocker, rubble, and garage punk unknown collections). Heavy distorted thumping grooves; chaotic jungly guitars; catchy organ melodies; possessed vocals; slaying guitar strums; deconstructing break downs. Perfect blending of melody, rhythm and chaotic freak-out. Think a killer combo of Captain Beefheart and the Magic Band (ca. Safe as Milk), 60s garage bands like the Seeds and the Love, the sinister sound of the early Von Bondies, and the contemporary chaos of the Mummies and Hella (ie. the drums). This CD is even better than their first one, which I bought some years ago when I used to date Bill C. (he introduced me to them; search in Zookeeper under "the Black Lips"). Hooray!|
PLAY: 1, 2, 7, 10, 5, 6, 4 (hidden baroque track is THE BEST)
1. Gawd! Jungly guitar chaos, psychotic vocals, psychotic drum thumping and vocals. Catchy melodic turns. Crazy gun shot firing sound effects. Lester, I'm in heaven. Let's party!
2. Very 60s vintage sounding track. Clean guitar leads in the start and at bridges; groovy head bopping guitar grooves. The LOVE.
3. Mid-tempo, heavy sinister psyche. Harmonica. Noisey guitar freak-out at the end.
4. Straight up punk rocker with power popish lead guitar and pop-punkish vox... Awesome baroque hidden track at 2:05. It's the best moment in the entire CD. Check it out!
5. Fuzzed-up guitars and slurry whine-y vocals. Fast New Mexico/Texas 60s garage punk chorus. Fucking awesome!
6. Guitar rhythm and chops remind of the classic "Pushing too Hard" by the Seeds.
7. Ball out organ (farfisa?) beats (melody and psyche noodling chaos. Swampy vocals and instrumentations.
8. Ringing guitar leads. Sinister & psychotic like the good early Von Bondies.
9. Chaotic vocals and instrumentation on 11... reminds of the Mummies.
10. More balls out chaos, noise and mayhem... and Velvet Underground angularity and melody. Hidden track @ 2:45; jazzy psyche jam with super cool organ loops.
|2.||Time of the Scab||7.||Notown Blues|
|3.||Dawn of the Age of Tomorrow||8.||Ghetto Cross|
|4.||Nothing at ALL/100 New Fears||9.||Jumpin Around|