|Gift of Gab, the / 4TH Dimensional Rocketships..|
|Album:||4TH Dimensional Rocketships..||Collection:||Hip-hop|
|Artist:||Gift of Gab, the||Added:||Jul 2004|
|Add Date:||2004-09-06||Pull Date:||2004-11-07||Charts:||Hip-Hop|
|Week Ending:||Oct 24||Oct 10||Sep 26||Sep 19||Sep 12|
|1.||Feb 15, 2023:||Some Songs Without Words |
|4.||Aug 13, 2009:||Ripridah Radio |
|2.||Mar 11, 2012:||MHz |
|5.||May 02, 2008:||RipRidah Radio |
|3.||Jan 19, 2011:||Nick&Noah: TheRadioShow |
|6.||Dec 25, 2007:||RipRidah Radio Xmas Special |
It’s hard to tell the difference between this solo record from The Gift of Gab and his other main project, Blackalicious. Laid back, soulful, wise, west coast hiphop. There are differences. The production is split on this album between Jake One and Vitamin D (both from Seattle?), both really sound like they are trying to be Chief Xcel. Beats are mostly smooth, jazzy, laid back and soulful and the rhymes are the same. I think the rhymes are great, but Gab seems to be creating a small box for himself when it comes to the types of tracks he’s doing. This doesn’t go anywhere a Blackalicious record doesn’t. |
1. Opens with a sound of a harp, a straight forward beat, and laid back guitar. Wordy rhyme, with odd statement about rocket ships going up, the sounds of a rocket ship taking off and backing female vocals. Long fadeout that last nearly a minute.
2. Funky, almost goofy music with keyboards and tuba! Has the feeling of a cartoon about the “Rate Race”.
**3. Handclaps and what sounds like steel drums. Pretty and catchy. Repeated backing chorus of “Way of the Light”. Has the vibe of “Make you Feel that Way” from Blackalicious. A lot of singing.
**4. Nice bass and wordy/speedy rap. Damn, when does he breathe?
**5. Smooth 70s vibe, with piano and straight forward beat. Backing chorus of “Welcome back, welcome back, welcome back”. Despite having flashbacks to “Welcome back Cotter” I like this. Nice list of things from the past, corduroy hats, the Cosby show, the crush on the girl next door, etc, etc
**6. Short, bass that sounds like our tuba again. Great rhyme.
7. Sing songy intro over piano loop and simple beat somewhat to the tune of “Putting on the Ritz”. Rhyme gets more forceful. Not fully coherent track.
8. Stunted keyboard loop, that I think sounds like crap which makes way for short funky guitar, a scratch, and the chorus. Like the last track it doesn’t all work together.
9. Harder rhyme over slightly funk beat. Stripped down and straight forward. Some fun, scratched samples and some series rhyming. VURSATYLE and Gab trade off.
10. Another short one. Hmm…can’t place the sample. Germaine Jackson?
11. Organ. Story. Dedication to someone. “Doe”?
12. Straight forward beat and more keyboards. Fast Rhyme.
13. Booming beat, with slightly 70s synth sounds. Spiritual and a chorus.
14. Smooth, 70s, chorus to start the track. About the DJ and rhyming. Damn this is catchy. More rocket ships taking off.
15. Tighter loop. “Because if feels good”.
Good stuff. -mph
|1.||The Ride of Your Life||8.||To Know You|
|2.||Rat Race||9.||Real Mcs|
|3.||Way of the Light||10.||Hold on|
|4.||Stardust||11.||In a Minute Doe|
|7.||The Writz||14.||Ride on|