|Various Artists / Bush Taxi Mali|
|Album:||Bush Taxi Mali||Collection:||World|
|Add Date:||2004-12-12||Pull Date:||2005-02-13||Charts:||Reggae/World|
|Week Ending:||23 Jan||16 Jan||9 Jan||2 Jan||26 Dec||19 Dec|
|1.||Aug 18, 2005:||I once was a world citizen |
|4.||Jan 13, 2005:||Sun in Libra, Moon in Pisces |
|2.||Jan 18, 2005:||The Devil's Collective |
Dogon Country at Night, O Mansa Musa
|5.||Jan 09, 2005:||radiomundi |
Morning in Djenne
|3.||Jan 14, 2005:||At the Cafe Bohemian |
|6.||Jan 06, 2005:||Worldwide |
Excellent collections of field recordings from Mali. Great quality despite the conditions, variety of sounds, truly interesting stuff. Some street sounds, radio, but most musicians recorded in quieter "studio" settings (if you can call anything that has a goat in it 'a studio'). I liked 1, 5, 7, 9, 13 (and check out that donkey on 14!).|
1. * Starts with farm sounds, roosters etc. Then warm female vox, nice picking on the ngoni (banjo ancestor).*
2. 1 minute of radio recording, switching between frequencies.
3. Bluesy solo picking, no vox, mid tempo.
4. Flute solo, fast tempo drums added a minute in.
5. * Warm, beautiful female vox go acapella. Nice. *
6. Street sounds.
7. * Beautiful folky piece by two ngonis (guitar/banjo). Slow/mid. *
8.Scattered children choir, clapping. Percussion and whistling at the end.
9. * That female vox again, with ngoni and drums, richer and beautiful. *
10. Pre-track street sounds. Real track is strong string-plucked nice tune, goat vox. Really.
11. Recording the heavy distortion and feedback of a wedding celebration sound system. Female vox, some basic percussion. Ends quiet with bird sounds.
12. Again two ngonis (similar to 7, but not as nice). Slow/mid. Ends with street/market sounds.
13. * Quiet picking, tender, beautiful intro. Deep female vox enter *
14. * Near-silent fade in. Farm sounds. Night. Donkey really going at it. *