|Various Artists / I Am a Cold Rock. I Am|
|Album:||I Am a Cold Rock. I Am||Collection:||General|
|Add Date:||2005-01-23||Pull Date:||2005-03-27|
|Week Ending:||27 Mar||20 Mar||13 Mar||6 Mar||27 Feb||20 Feb||13 Feb||6 Feb|
|1.||May 12, 2009:||I once was Canadian |
|4.||Jan 12, 2006:||I once was canadian |
|2.||Mar 30, 2009:||Gallows Radio |
|5.||Mar 24, 2005:||I Once Was Canadian |
|3.||Jun 07, 2006:||I once was canadian |
|6.||Mar 17, 2005:||Strange Attractor |
A tribute to the music of Will Oldham (Palace, Palace Brothers, Palace Music, Bonnie “Prince” Billy, solo) by a variety of well-known and not-so-well known artists. Most stick with the feel of the original, perhaps without the warbling voice Oldham is known for. Not a cohesive album, but some really great tracks on here. Most of “my picks” I like a lot and most of the rest are good. there are only a few I don’t like or don’t think bring anything. If I don’t mention M or F for vox, it’s probably male. If you aren’t familiar with the originals, grab a stack of Palace or Bonnie Prince Billy CDs and listen to them. Or play this on your show and then go back to the originals. |
my picks: 1, 5, 6, 7, 12, 17, 18
1. (FCC “fuck” at 3:12 and 3:19) gorgeous. piano, drum machine, f vox and random sounds. I like this one a lot.
2. guitar, clapping, tambourine, m vox. when the harmonies enter it sounds like Oldham singing
3. guitar, drums, pedal steel, violin. m-f vox. not as devastating as the original.
4. countrified. guitar, piano, upright bass. pretty blah until the bridge, which is good.
5. a classic Iron & Wine cover in that he makes the song his own. guitar, hand percussion
6. a wash of pedal steel and great harmonies. good.
7. mostsly a capella (a little guitar) two f-voices.
8. (FCC “fuck” at 1:37, 1:44) I didn’t recognize this one because they put a dumb middle eastern(?) feel to it.
9. radio m-vox. soft/ lush guitar and strings. sweet banjo. too triumphant/ good-feeling. loses the great harmonies of the original. still a good song.
10. pretty much country rock. Nashville style. sounds like Oldham on that Greatest Palace Music album
11. slow, guitar, slide guitar.
12. banjo, electric guitar, drums. much more tension than the original
13. guitar and accordion. (original was mostly acapella, besides some atmospheric sounds). double-tracked vocals. m-vox.
14. very deep-sounding guitar (lots of low end). doesn’t have the heart-breaking emotion of the original. m-vox
15. guitar sounds sort of like the beginning of a Motown tune. builds with second guitar and drums to full, rockin’ chorus. m-vox
16. slow building rock. f-vox. quite different from the original.
17. sounds a lot like Bonnie Prince Billy live (drunken Appalachian angst rock). banjo, good drums, electric guitar.
18. reverby m-vox. guitar. I like this one a lot. no drum machine or piano like the original has. I like it better than the original