|Operators, the / Light and the Dark, the|
|Album:||Light and the Dark, the||Collection:||General|
|Artist:||Operators, the||Added:||Jan 2005|
|Add Date:||2005-04-17||Pull Date:||2005-06-19|
|Week Ending:||Jun 19||May 29||May 15||May 1||Apr 24|
|1.||Jun 16, 2005:||Multiple Personality Disorder |
Punch You Out
|4.||Apr 27, 2005:||Strange Attractor |
Mild As Milk
|2.||May 24, 2005:||Multiple Personality Disorder |
Punch You Out
|5.||Apr 26, 2005:||Multiple Personality Disorder |
Punch You Out
|3.||May 13, 2005:||Distraction-Limited |
Across the Ocean
|6.||Apr 23, 2005:||subbing for baseball |
Indie pop/indie rock with female and male vocals. Sometimes surf-y, occasionally slowcore. Female vox are lower and stronger - like more recent Rainer Maria. Usual band instruments, including mellotrons, short wave radios, and plastic bags. Influences include The Raincoats and Gang of Four. Overall, fun stuff.|
1) “Scorpio Rising” (3:25). Slow, quiet intro: guitar, bass, drums. Female vox 0:32. 0:45 tempo picks up, as well as her vox. Alternates between the quiet and loud.
2)*“Punch You Out” (2:25). Slightly surfy feel - fun, considering song subject. 0:35 female vox, consistently louder in song. She is her own backup vox.
3)*“The Look” (3:07). M/F vox together. 1:58 handclaps followed by “1-2-3-4!” 2:50 handclaps back with all vox.
4) “Fire Away” (2:47). Lighter on instruments, still catchy. Gentle maracas accompany quiet guitar in intro. Female vox, m/f backing vox. Definitive “da da da’s.” End 2:44.
5)*“Mild As Milk” (2:34). Immediate vox with guitar, bass, drums. A few dissonant guitar chords. Some gentler vocal stylings, mixed with strong staccato vox. 1:17 tempo change to faster. Piano. Plastic bag. Drums. 2:00 soft “ooo’s” in background.
6) “Iron Heart” (2:06). Strumming guitar. F vox has more attitude. M/F harmonizing backup vox. Acoustic guitar, mellotron, pianet. End at 2:03.
7) “Across the Ocean” (4:18). Strumming minor and sharp guitar and bass chords - darker, mid-tempo song. M/F together, but M much stronger in this song. Pianet. 3:58-end - distorted sounds.
8)*“Black Hole” (2:53). Some sad dissonance, clear f vox, a bit nostalgic. Trumpet! After 2:00, brass chorus.
9) “The Wrong Way” (3:19). Toe-tapping beat, yet guitar and bass not too loud. 0:30 f vox. Faint m backup vox. End 3:16.
10) “What The Mailman Doesn’t Bring” (2:54). Surfy guitar and bass, with surfier guitar addition at 0:05. M vox this time. M/F harmonizing backup vox, holding notes. Some electric guitar sliding near end.
11)*“The Light” (4:41). Mid-tempo guitars and drums, bass 0:15. Higher f vox 0:37, with higher f vox backups. 1:16 f vox switch to lower register, with one guitar imitating her vocal melody. 1:55 back to higher vox. Rest of song alternates with this pattern. 4:20 drums drop out. End 4:35.
12) “Firelight” (4:24). Quieter and slower. 0:22 male vox abruptly. Sincere, kind of enderaing. After 2:00 female round comes in. End at 4:06, unless you want some very faint static sounds.
13) Bonus Track (4:33). Seamless transition with static sounds from previous song. 1:54 gentle guitars over the static. 2:15 falsetto gentle male vox alternate with female vox. Slowcore-ish.
|1.||Scorpio Rising||7.||Across the Ocean|
|2.||Punch You Out||8.||Black Hole|
|3.||The Look||9.||The Wrong Way|
|4.||Fire Away||10.||What the Mailman|
|5.||Mild As Milk||11.||The Light|