Anubian Lights - Phantascope (misspelled when keyed as Anubian Nights)
Techno-tinged pop that's tons of fun, the lead singer has a great voice and knows how to use it. This girl can really sing. Whether the band is doing a more electronica- or rock-tinged song, they keep everything upbeat. Production is solid and interesting. Varied styles throughout the album and everyone can find something cool. Play this stuff!!!! Play 1,4,6,9
1**) Howlin female vox with funky, screachy sample.
2*) Quiet male vox over quick, smooth beat (reminds me of intro to the sopranos). Middle-eastern tinged female wails in background. A good techno, world beat vibe.
3) Guitar intro, with female vox. Good pop rock.
4**) Guitar rock again, with noir spy-movie air. Female vox. Strong chorus with girl yelling, sexy.
5) Light female vox, choir-like, over bubbly guitar and synths.
6**) Jazzy sample, salsa rhythm (or one of those latin american dances i don't know how to do). Male vox in foreign language, adds nicely to track. Shows the techno side of the band. Nice jazzy builds, horns crescendo.
7*) Slower, lots of attention paid to production (all sorts of sound bits, swoops, swirls). Great showcase for the female vox.
8) Slower, darker vibe with sonar beeps and vocoded voices.
9*) Horn stabs with ominous groove growing a bit more chaotic with crescendos of siren-like synth. Female vox about 'resist tyranny'
10) Straight up pop with a very light feel. Female vox and piano tend to keep hitting same note with a few chord changes throughout the song.
11*) Lounge-y with horn stabs and jazzy keyboard. Female vox with some spoken verses. Another song that would be at home in a spy movie (the part where he meets the girl at a bar in Berlin)
12) String section inserted into a slow vox/bass/guitar piece. Peaceful and relaxing.