|Layaways, the / We've Been Lost|
|Album:||We've Been Lost||Collection:||General|
|Label:||Mystery Farm Records|
|Add Date:||2005-04-17||Pull Date:||2005-06-19|
|Week Ending:||15 May||8 May||1 May||24 Apr|
|1.||Fri, 01 Jun 07:||Kristle|
Something about music
|4.||Thu, 05 May 05:||Mor|
The Devil's Collective
|2.||Mon, 09 May 05:||Jenn|
Lost and Found
|5.||Fri, 29 Apr 05:||Fo|
No Cover, No Minimum - Part II
|3.||Fri, 06 May 05:||Riina|
|6.||Wed, 27 Apr 05:||Murray|
The Layaways - We’ve Been Lost – Mystery Farm Records|
Reviewed by Peter 4-10-2005
Album of Chicago-based indie-rock with strong folk influence and traces of psychedelica. Many songs straddle the line between mid and up tempo, or may be up-tempo, but are tempered by a down-beat, chill feeling that shows up throughout the album. Male lead vox (with a little support from other guys) take on different moods within an indie/folk context. Pretty good overall.
For upbeat, energetic: 1, 3, 6; For More laid back: 5, 7, *8, 9
1. *3:00 – Mid/up-tempo indie with a spacey, slightly distant feel. “Be my silence”
2. 5:03 – Mid-tempo, chill, starts with simple, solo electric guitar that continues throughout w/ some variation. Some interesting synth-sounding guitars later. More energy in second half. Feels long.
3. 2:32 – Upbeat, energetic rock. Country/folk-rock vox sing clearly. Guitars distinctly indie-sounding.
4. 3:17 – Mid-tempo – heavy 80’s pop influence – rigid drum-machine percussion, classic 80s guitar distortion/riffs and quiet vox contrasting with energy of music.
5. * 3:12 – Mid-tempo, down-beat airy track with distant electric guitar and white-noise rumble providing a bed for clear acoustic guitar, tambourine and folk vox. Has a middle-era Pink Floyd feel. Pretty song.
6. * 4:31 – Up-tempo, up-beat, straightforward indie-folk with nice vox.
7. * 3:42 – Mid/up-tempo, chill verses (Jack Johnson vox give way to a more indie sound) with more energetic chorus, but there drums push the track throughout creating energy even in the verses. Cowbell and guitar solo… at the same time!
8. * 4:12 – Mid-tempo, well-done blend of acoustic folk and electric psych with nice vox and lyrics – stand-out track.
9. 3:16 – Mid-tempo electric inde-folk. Bass line and quiet vox reminded me of Beck’s “Forcefield”. Pretty song overall, but vox feel a bit off at times.
10. 3:10 – Mid-tempo, Jack Johnson vox again give a relaxed feel but song is energetic through some cool (though simple) guitar work and interesting lyrics. I thought of the Beatles at times too - maybe White Album-esqu lyrics.
11. 3:48 – Mid-tempo, straightforward, indie. Some interesting, wobbly, guitar effects in background and some harmonies. Decent indie-pop, but not outstanding.
|1.||Silence||6.||Nothing Left to Burn|
|2.||The Long Night||7.||Just a Dream|
|3.||Lying and Stealing||8.||Every Time We Try|
|4.||Splendor and Loss||9.||Bombs Away|