|Singer, Liam / Empty Heart of the Chamele, th|
|Album:||Empty Heart of the Chamele, th||Collection:||General|
|Add Date:||2005-05-15||Pull Date:||2005-07-17|
|Week Ending:||17 Jul||10 Jul||29 May||22 May|
|1.||Nov 21, 2006:||What's in the Ice Box? |
Father I See
|4.||May 23, 2005:||The Panoply |
|2.||Jul 15, 2005:||Distraction-Limited |
|5.||May 17, 2005:||Multiple Personality Disorder |
|3.||Jul 07, 2005:||SubbingForBaptism |
Water Rushing at You
Liam Singer – The Empty Heart of the Chameleon – Tell-All Records|
Reviewed by Peter 5-02-2005
Pretty, light acoustic piano and airy vocals comprise the majority of this album. Piano is very pretty throughout, slightly experimental at times. Album reminded me of Nick Drake-style, sad, simple music, especially on vocal tracks. Lyrics are simple and straightforward.
Instrumental tracks are solid, especially 3 and 7. For vocal tracks 10 and 4 are best.
1. 1:11 – Short, dark piano piece with background rumble.
2. 1:18 – Short, sparse piano and male vox. Mid-tempo but very down-beat.
3. * 1:52 – Fast, pretty solo piano piece with an energetic crescendo at the end. Beginning Moby feel turns more classical by end.
4. * 2:35 – Mid-tempo piano and male vox. Nick Drake sound – dark piano, but airier vox.
5. 2:16 – Mid-tempo, piano is not so dark – more upbeat (relative to other tracks) with twinges of sadness and haunting ghost-sound in background (sounds like a musical saw).
6. 2:17 – Down-tempo, piano and theatrical, operatic female vox. Silence for a second or two before last :25 (then resumes w/ faltering vox).
7. * 2:07 - Another pretty piano solo. Down-tempo, melancholy and nicely-done.
8. 3:42 – Very slow, down-tempo piano and high, airy male vox. Simple, folky lyrics.
9. 2:36 – Piano with ethereal, warbling effects in background. Piano part is more experimental than other tracks.
10. * 4:18 - Mid-tempo, more upbeat than other tracks. Piano and male vox. Might be best vocal track and it’s certainly the most substantial. Vox are same airy indie/folk vocals as throughout. Piano reminded me of early, melodic Tom Waits at times. Solid.
11. 0:53 – Mid-tempo, pretty piano with wordless, haunting male/female vox overlaid.
12. 0:59 – Like first track – sparse, low, dark piano. Sinister and experimental.
|2.||The Last||8.||When I Am Laid in the Earth|
|3.||Water Rushing at You||9.||Asthma/Rivets in Water|
|4.||Father I See||10.||One Day|
|5.||Tying Shoes/Climbing Stairs||11.||Hannah's Dance|
|6.||Between My Lips, Which Did S||12.||...|