|Todd, Mia Doi / Manzanita|
|Artist:||Todd, Mia Doi||Added:||Mar 2005|
|Add Date:||2005-03-21||Pull Date:||2005-05-23|
|Week Ending:||May 22||May 8||May 1||Apr 24||Apr 17||Apr 10||Apr 3||Mar 27|
|1.||Mar 01, 2012:||American Beauty |
|4.||Dec 14, 2005:||Final Conflict |
|2.||Apr 23, 2007:||Something about music |
|5.||May 19, 2005:||The Devil's Single Collective |
I Gave You My Home
|3.||Nov 15, 2006:||Eran Mukamel (blankets) |
The Last Night of Winter
|6.||May 06, 2005:||Distraction-Limited |
Mia Doi Todd – Manzanita (Plug Research)|
The 5th album from this amazing singer songwriter and like each of her previous albums there is a small change in the type of music she’s making. She has a stunning voice that is unique and few in the music world match her mastery of words. On this album, she has a band on many tracks, which is a good bit different from her usual minimal acoustic guitar and voice. The music has a slight post rock sound and her voice is still way up front and the center of attention. The band is members of Beachwood Sparks, The Tyde, Future Pigeon, Brian Jonestown Massacre and Dead Meadow.
**1. Straight rock pop tune. It’s a bit of a surprise to hear her voice along with an electric guitar. This covers a lot of ground including the politics of the war, a relationship on rocky ground and just wishes to escape the entire mess. There is even a slightly psychedelic guitar solo.
2. Lap steel, brushed drums, and dulcimer. One of those summer love songs about sitting in the grass wondering if things are going to happen between the person your lying next to.
3. Piano, bongos, and acoustic guitar? She seems to be asking lots of questions on this record. This track is another wondering what’s going to happen with a relationship. Pretty. \
4. Cello, violin, more brushed drums, trumpet all creating a very poppy song. Catchy. More love interests.
**5. Just her voice and piano. Introspective.
6. WTF? Reggae?
**7. Sparse classical guitar and words, mostly luna lune.
**8. Slight Spanish flavor with handclaps, mandolin and multiple guitars. I love the lyrics. “Looking for a window into your soul, if and when I find it, will the blinds be closed? I went to Samy’s Camera to buy binoculars, took home a tall telescope ten thousand times power”. Short.
9. Dark and introspective. The track picks up and gets slightly poppy.
10. Just classical guitar and her voice. Love song.
Not as compelling as her previous releases but still good -mph
|1.||The Way||6.||Casa Nova|
|2.||What If We Do?||7.||Luna Lune|
|3.||My Room Is White||8.||Tongue-Tied|
|4.||The Last Night of Winter||9.||Deep at Sea|
|5.||Muscle, Bone & Blood||10.||I Gave You My Home|