Bonfa, along with Jobim, Joao Gilberto & Baden Powell was one of the architects of the Bossa Nova. He gained some fame as contributor to the famous Black Orpheus soundtrack. Here it’s mostly solo guitar, played with flair & style. When he does sing it’s untrained, but heartfelt & warm. Everything is simple, unadorned, and sohpisticated. There are alternate takes of several tracks. Oh, and too short. This should be fascinating for guitar players. Check out especially:
2. Deliciously jazzy instrumental version of Night & Day.
4. Sweet, lowkey & romantic w/soft hums & la-las.
5. Plinky intro into a light & warm sway.
8. Sophisticated, low-key samba w/a romantic air.
9. Uptempo & lyrical. Wonderfully played.
10. A slow & delicate love song w/vocals.
11. Delicate but lovely version of his most famous song. Great.
14. Vocals & guitar is a lazy, sweet little thing.
15. Light waltz w/a gently unpredictable sound.
18. English spoken words, dramatic, midtempo story of NY.
21. Dishy, jazzy, bright.
24. One of his classics. Light, playful and just yummy.
25. Alt. version of 11, a bit faster.
28. A faster version of 8.