|Angels of Light / Angels of Light Sing "Other Pe|
|Album:||Angels of Light Sing "Other Pe||Collection:||General|
|Artist:||Angels of Light||Added:||04/2005|
|Label:||Young God Records|
|Add Date:||2005-04-24||Pull Date:||2005-06-26|
|Week Ending:||19 Jun||12 Jun||5 Jun||29 May||22 May||15 May||8 May||1 May|
|1.||Thu, 10 May 07:||Rob|
|4.||Thu, 16 Jun 05:||canuck|
One Tall Canadian
|2.||Wed, 23 Nov 05:||The Bawd Of Euphony|
Lick My Moody Guitar
|5.||Mon, 13 Jun 05:||stirling|
|3.||Fri, 17 Jun 05:||Riina|
|6.||Thu, 09 Jun 05:||canuck and bedlam|
one tall canadian, one short american
The Angels of Light Sing "Other People"|
EX-swans leader Michael Gira. Brooding, dark americana/folk, no percussion, mostly acoustic, beautiful in a non-pretty kind of way. The PR references use Bonnie Prince and Magnetic fields but that is only correct in one aspect (instrumentation, vox, respectively) and otherwise way off. Stream-of-conscious lyrics, very personal, often cryptic. In promo note Gira attests that lyrics are written by "a friend"; channeled through in a Dylan-like manner, only without the structure and rhyme patterns. Mostly short tracks, no exploration. Tom Waits fans, definitely listen to this one.
Play 1, 2, 7, 9, 11, 12 and all.
1. ** Bright acoustic picking, choir harmonizes beautifully, handclaps, a masterpiece - plus it's the only song (non-Hebrew) that mentions the small southern desert Israeli city of Eilat. . AMAZING! (vox most like Crush Test Dummies..) **
2. * Sparse strum, about a boy, quiet ballad, female backing beautifully. Heartbreaking, strings take over at the end. *
3. Quiet start but then - strange percussion - and becomes more upbeat, words chanted, Beach Boys-like harmonizing, best line: "the hair on your body would clothe a small nation".
4 Rich, ode to Johnny Cash(?) - hinted in promo notes. Strum, steel, keys, swaying, gets louder.
5. Beautiful ballad, Dylanesque imagery and delivery, anti-war. Choir sings, a bit off synch, in the second part.
6. Some electric, animal-collective style, bluesy. Short.
7. * Americana feel, and themed. Rich; beautiful, Waitsy. *
8. Monotone picking and hushed vox as background, mix of imagery inspired by Michael Jackson & Saddam - "huh?". (see notes).
9. * Slow, quieter, transitions halfway, choir, fuller. *
10. FCC("shit", "bitch"). Short, strange.
11. * Interesting, bizarre, quiet and slow, beautiful. *
12. * Like Leonard Cohen- Famous Blue Raincoat - angelic female backing Vox *
|1.||Lena's Song||7.||My Sister Said|
|2.||The Kids Is Already Breaking||8.||Michael's White Hands|
|3.||My Friend Thor||9.||To Live Through Someone|
|4.||On the Mountain||10.||Simon Is Stronger than Us|