Alaska! (ex Sebatoh/Folk Implosion) is a pop-rock blend of 70s classic rock with power-popish guitar jangle and messy guitar leads that flirt with dissonance and angularity that give the band the hard edge they need to escape from being just another Live 105 alterna pop-band. Heavy bass lines with lots of of vocal harmonies and production effects (eg. use of uncredited but noticable sustained organ/synth notes, tambourines etc) give out a strong psych sensibility. A blend of Aerosmith, U2, Les Savy Fav, Radiohead, and the Strokes.
Play: 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 9
1. 70s rock guitar grooves, distorto chops, heavy bass lines, and psych departures.
2. Jangly guitars, somber mood and vocals.
3. Edgy. Head bopping power-pop number.
4. Catchy pop-alterna rock. Upbeat. Pleasant vocal harmonies... the Strokes? Power pop guit jangle.
5. Slow builds up to med tempo. Mood reminds Radiohead.
6. Steady med-tempo with heavy bass line and early U2 vocals. Fuzzy guitar mess in the background and lots of sustained synths. Goes on forever (8 min).
7. 60 seconds of beautiful Nick Cave-like slow-spooky noise.
8. Striped down rock with lyrics about social change. Nice guitar chops. Early U2.
9. Slow and pretty with chimes and bells. Swells up into a rocking groove with dissonant guitars that sound like Seth's lines from Les Savy Fav.
10. Acoustic folky number. Atmospheric.