There was never a more befitting name for a compilation -- obscure and unknown heros of indie rock&pop from the 90s. Read the liner notes, all tracks great. Compiled by Mark Griffey at Snowglobe Records. I happened to choose 2, 9, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 20. |
1. up tempo, Kirbi-Grips-like, cute
2. * Bouncy, lovely, psychedelic. Whistles! *
3. Chamber-like, cool , bassoon! bizarre, MPH.
4. Begins with sample "we're never going back to California". Then upbeat loud pop.
5. Banjo and ringing guitars, uptempo.
6. Chamber, belle&S, acoustic, mid/fast.
7. Dark, gothic Joy Division feel.
8. Indie feel but bizarre structure and dark touches.
9. ** Upbeat, jangly, female vox, excellent. self-reflecting lyrics on the profession. Short. **
10. Synths, slow, sparse beat, loud buzz.
11. Beatles - touch of psychedelic, slow/mid. "Nowhere Man".
12. * "Don't you want somebody to love"? mid/upbeat rootsy, jangly. *
13. ** Folk/singsong but with bells and synths, break up, cool. From liner notes: originally released with a Xeroxed cover, in a Ziplock bag. Female backing box. **
14. FCC ("Fucking") make me think of "Boys Don't Cry" only heavier.
15. * Breathy, deep female box, synths, spooky, dark 80's style. *
16. * Upbeat psychedelic, reminds me a lot of the Soft Boys circa Underwater Moonlight. *
17. * Another one that reminds me of the Soft Boys, earlier period – great weird guitar parts, sometimes unconnected, but good. *
18. ** Early Floyd psych ballad, great stuff. **
19. Raucous rock, upbeat, loud, cool.
20. * Sequenced beat, chant-like, bells, fun, primal. Great closer for this comp! *