|Love As Laughter / Laughter's Fifth|
|Artist:||Love As Laughter||Added:||05/2005|
|Label:||Sub Pop Records|
|Add Date:||2005-05-29||Pull Date:||2005-07-31|
|Week Ending:||24 Jul||17 Jul||10 Jul||3 Jul||26 Jun||12 Jun||5 Jun|
|1.||Dec 08, 2006:||Final Week Booya |
|4.||Jul 12, 2005:||Pop Music Show |
|2.||Mar 04, 2006:||Biff Bang Pow |
|5.||Jul 05, 2005:||Pop Music Show |
|3.||Jul 20, 2005:||Lost and Found |
I'm a Ghost
|6.||Jul 01, 2005:||Happy Hour |
Wow so this isn't the LAL that we all knew and loved. Gone are the overly loud, distorted guitars and the garage-y sound. Sam Jayne has left Seattle for NYC and on his 5th album, after a 4 year absence, goes for a cleaner, mellower, more straightforward rock album. But he over delivers with an excellent batch of tighter, but still quirky, and cleverly written songs, proving that he can do a sort of more classic rock sound as well. Although I think the lyrics and Jayne's delivery are the standouts here, that's not to say this isn't rocking and the grunginess manages to creep in nicely. This also marks Jayne's return to home recording so the looseness is just that much more accentuated. Awesome. |
**1. Bass heavy beats. Broken hearted cynical alt. country feel.
2. Cover of obscure 60's psychedelic group, West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band.
3. A little more raucous jamming here with some loud keys.
4. Duller lapse, like hangover music. Nice but a little too slow for radio play?
**5. Moodiness builds into loudness. 12-3AM DJs this one's for you!
6. Handclaps, bouncy, crunchy guitars. Fun lyrics: "the secret life of Agent S&M"
**7. Narrative lyrics about a ghost that haunts parties trying to make friends.
**8. Nice organs, handclaps, group chorus, and excellent underlying beat. Nice guitar solo. Recorded conversation and little joke/reference to Weezer. FCC: SHIT
**9. Opening dominated by some soft/breezier beats and organs before guitar. Stronger less blasé vocals.
10. Real lazy feel to this. Beach themed heartbreak song, so sort of an island sound. Dude was left with nothing but a kazoo.
11. Funny jilted attack. I really like the vocals in the beginning on this one.
|1.||In Amber||6.||Dirty Lives|
|2.||I Won't Hurt You||7.||I'm a Ghost|
|3.||Fool Worship! Fool Worship!||8.||Canal Street|
|5.||Every Midnight Song||10.||Corona Extra|