|Supersystem / Always Never Again|
|Album:||Always Never Again||Collection:||General|
|Label:||Touch and Go|
|Add Date:||2005-09-11||Pull Date:||2005-11-13|
|Week Ending:||30 Oct||23 Oct||16 Oct||2 Oct||18 Sep|
|1.||Dec 13, 2005:||eclectica: the final countdown...top 10 shows |
|4.||Oct 18, 2005:||eclectica |
|2.||Oct 25, 2005:||eclectica |
Born Into the World
|5.||Oct 15, 2005:||Biff Bang Pow |
Born Into the World
|3.||Oct 20, 2005:||Anywhere Out of the World |
|6.||Oct 13, 2005:||Trip Over Sparkle |
|Elias (Dr Furious)|
Supersystem (ex El Guapo of Dischord) is none other than El Guapo riding the 80s electro-dance bandwagon. Formulaic compositions with techno-synth beats, some worldly influences, and a few of the good ole El Guapo guitar riffs submerged in bubble gum electro pop with heavy bpms. This CD will remind you of the ready-made electro-pop you would hear abroad (eg. south europe, middle east). El Guapo's departure sounds to me more like an electro-dance cope-out than a genuine calling for a shift in creative paradigm. Long gone are the days of '98-'99 when we used to see them in the Baltimore/DC area week in, week out. They were a fine band walking the lines of experimental and art punk. What happened? Supersystems' vocal bursts are highly reminiscent of the Black Eyes, and this alone is enough for them to survive the A-file test with a passing grade.|
Post-review note: Justin Moyers of Supersystem has a side project called Edie Sedgwick... it's in the A-file and it is AWESOME. So now we know where El Guapo went.
Play 3, 5, 9, 10?
1. Med-tempo with annoying story telling vox and 80s disco synth notes and effects.
2. El Guapo meets Eminem. Female backing vox of bubble gum pop quality.
3. Explosive! The Black Eyes on high electro-techno bpms! Nuff said.
4. Hand-claps. Cheesy melodies and lyrics. Superficial.
5. Gyrating guitar riffs and heavy electro-techno beats.
6. Violins and middle eastern feel.
7. Steady beats and hand claps. This goes nowhere.
8. Fast. Nice soundtrack for post-punk aerobics.
9. Post-punk edge with angry vocals and heavy guitar and bass. Cheesy chorus (yell out all signs of chinese astrology).
10. Hypnotic piece with "far east" influences. Nice acoustic guitar leads and organs.
|1.||Born Into the World||6.||Miracle|
|2.||Everybody Sings||7.||The Love Story|