|Cooder, Ry / Chavez Ravine|
|Artist:||Cooder, Ry||Added:||Jul 2005|
|Add Date:||2005-08-07||Pull Date:||2005-10-09||Charts:||Reggae/World|
|Week Ending:||Oct 9||Oct 2||Sep 25||Sep 18||Sep 11||Sep 4||Aug 28||Aug 21|
|1.||Feb 12, 2022:||Everything |
It's Just Work for Me
|4.||Mar 15, 2017:||At the Cafe Bohemian |
|2.||Jun 21, 2017:||At the Cafe Bohemian |
|5.||Nov 30, 2016:||At the Cafe Bohemian |
3 Cool Cats
|3.||Apr 19, 2017:||At the Cafe Bohemian |
|6.||Oct 19, 2016:||At the Cafe Bohemian |
Chavez Ravine was an area of LA that eventually became Dodger Stadium (Boo! Hiss!). This concept album celebrates the Mexican-American culture of the 40s and 50s that was kicked out to make way, passes comments on developer greed, mourns the loss of neighborhoods, and brings in space aliens and Commies too. Great guest stars including some of the stars of 50s Chicano music (Flaco Jimenez, Don Tosti, and Lalo Guerrero [who died just before the release of this CD]) add to the soulfulness. This is the kind of release you need to listen to repeatedly to fully appreciate the richness. It’s all good. At times rockin, at times poignant, one star, each track. Read the excellent notes, too. Be prepared for some offensive terms (“here in spic town”) as part of the lyrics. They aren’t really offensive in context or intent, but they are there.|
1. A relaxed midtempo groove that grows on you. Great harmonies.
2. Sweet & lowkey ballad w/sad overtones.
3. Spoken word, bits of Dragnet. Starts slow, gets jazzy. More words.
4. Slow, rather trad. conjunto w/great accordion & vocals.
5. Mostly midtempo rockin mother/daughter song.
6. Deliciously retro sound w/great sax/vox. Bouncy, jazzy, so cool.
7. Midtempo, catchy song about the Chinese in the neighborhood.
8. Relaxed, sexy, oh-so-cool. A retro. Jazzy. funky cha-cha.
9. Spacey, ambient loops, sexy fem. Vox, moody guitar. Spoken word
10. Lazy guitar groove backs husky, almost-spoken vocals.
11. Soft, delicate piano/guitar/drum/vocals. Slow, then mid & jazzy.
12. Bright & bouncy w/a traditional sound & great accordion/vox.
13. Slow w/emotional vocals. Sad song of a home that is gone.
14. Nasally vox, a touch of Hawaii. Slow, nostalgic. Very cool.
15. Bright, hopeful vocal duet w/a lazy, warm feeling.