|Gogol Bordello / Gypsy Punks: Underdog World Strike|
|Album:||Gypsy Punks: Underdog World Strike||Collection:||General|
|Label:||Side One Dummy Records|
|Add Date:||2005-10-09||Pull Date:||2005-12-11|
|Week Ending:||11 Dec||4 Dec||27 Nov||20 Nov||13 Nov||6 Nov||30 Oct||23 Oct|
|1.||Wed, 18 Nov 15:||DJ Randall|
Home on the Range
|4.||Thu, 22 Nov 12:||Sadie O.|
New World Disorder
|2.||Thu, 31 Oct 13:||Ashleigh & Julia|
All Things Go
|5.||Sat, 14 Apr 12:||Sadie O.|
New World Disorder
|3.||Thu, 24 Jan 13:||T-Lex|
The Show with T-Lex & Lolo
|6.||Fri, 13 May 11:||Doc Rock|
Gogol Bordello – Gypsy Punks: Underdog World Strike (SideOneDummy)|
Reviewed by Sadie O., 9/30/05
“Gypsy Punks” defines the sound as well as anything can. Gruff punk vocals by Eugene Hutz, mostly in heavily accented English with bits of Romany or some Eastern European language thrown in. Violin and accordion and melody are Gypsy-based, tempo and attitude are all Punk.
FCCs on tracks 1, 2, 4, 5, 7, 10, 14. I like 4, 6, 8, 15. 3, 11, 13, 14 are interesting.
1. 3:02 FCC: “Fucking” X 3. starts with a bit of skat, then uptempo guitar and violins, story of Sally in English and Romany, I guess? Full band comes in at 1 minute, sort of a punk polka.
2. 3:46 FCC: “motherfuck it”. Very fast tempo, violins and a lot of screaming.
3. 4:31 Starts with a lot of talking in ???, then some industrial noises and accordion. Shouting and violins… midtempo polka, lyrics mostly consist of “in the old times it was not a crime”. Spacey accordion bit midway through.
4. 3:45 FCC: “goddamn white”. Midtempo, almost reggae polka. Lots of starts and stops in the music, but it still swings.
5. 2:58 FCC: “the shit”, “alone with my dick”. Fast beat, Latin and punk alternate, guest Spanish rap. Great stuff, but probably should be saved for Save Harbor.
6. 3:07 downtempo, many different rhythms, mostly a nice loping swing. Funny lyrics (not in booklet), can’t hear any FCCs.
7. 4:53 FCC: “dick in your hand”. Starts with mostly vocals, when music comes in it’s midtempo bounce. Lots of stops and starts. – big stop in mid-song. Ends suddenly.
8. 2:59 builds gradually, fast beat really starts around a minute in. Once it gets going, it’s a great funky sound.
9. 3:42 slowish polka, rather goofy lyrics, again lots of stops and starts.
10. 4:23 FCC: “Fuck” X 3. Balkan barn dance, uptempo, bouncy.
11. 5:24 low-key reggae-ish intro. Beat comes in around a minute and a half in, downtempo and dramatic, music again stops and starts a lot. Accordion dub midway through – that’s different…
12. 3:52 guitar and voice intro, midtempo, restrained music, cool lyrics
13. 5:28 pretty acoustic guitar and actual singing (not English) – very much on the Gypsy end of the punk/gypsy continuum. Tempo picks up a minute and a half in and things get punkier, then back to starting groove but with distressed-sounding violin, crazed yells…
14. 4:53 FCC: “Goddamn”. builds slowly, uplifting lyrics despite minor FCC, again music builds and starts over dramatically, mostly midtempo reggae/polka/march. OK, it’s hard to pin down…
15. 6:51 another slow build, this time to a midtempo gypsy swing, very bouncy and fun. Very few vocals, not in English, some crazy bits.