Raitt, Bonnie – Souls Alike (EMI)
Reviewed by Sadie O., 10/14/05
We’re all pretty familiar with Bonnie Raitt by now… This is pretty bluesy and rootsy, nothing flashy or overproduced (although track 9 is close).
No FCC. 2, 10 best, 3, 7, 9 decent.
1. 3:38 slow, mellow blues about being a strong woman. Almost gospel feel towards end.
2. 5:15 **funky shuffle, a bit swampy, cool harmonies.
3. 3:41 *midtempo but upbeat, funky, chugging roadhouse groove.
4. 3:19 slow, quiet blues, nice slide guitar, nothing to hide the vocals.
5. 4:59 slow, half spoken vocals. First half of song is a little iffy, last two minutes are pretty cool, mostly guitar noodling.
6. 3:47 piano intro, funky but quiet, apparently inner voices fighting.
7. 3:49 *wah wah guitar, midtempo roadhouse bluesy two-step. Fun lyrics.
8. 4:26 slow, quiet, a bit of a lullaby frankly. Long fade at end.
9. 3:56 *funky shuffle fades in and out, kinda snakey. Long fade.
10. 4:20 **midtempo but loud, honky tonk blues
11. 4:59 very slow, very quiet, sort of jazzy, supper club piano. Fades and ends about 20 seconds short.