|Album:||Fires In Distant Buildings||Collection:||General|
|Add Date:||2005-11-27||Pull Date:||2006-01-29|
|Week Ending:||Jan 29||Jan 15||Jan 1||Dec 25||Dec 18||Dec 11||Dec 4|
|1.||Sep 13, 2006:||Anywhere Out of the World
The Velvet Cell
|4.||Jan 13, 2006:||Distraction-Limited
The Velvet Cell
|2.||Feb 15, 2006:||Epic Soundtracks - Post Valentine Syndrome
|5.||Dec 30, 2005:||nothing
Song From Under The Arches
|3.||Jan 26, 2006:||Multiple Personality Disorder
Song From Under The Arches, Cities Beneath The Sea
|6.||Dec 30, 2005:||Scatterbrain
Cities Beneath The Sea
1. Downtempo and dreamy, bursting into high energy for final minute. Instrumental for first two minutes. Sorta like Pinback underwater. Flashes of energy frame the vaguely threatening, soporific flow. Starts very quietly with various noises for first 30 secs. Long fade on noisy guitar chord that bleeds into next track.
==> 2. Cue manually (chord bleeds in from previous track). High-energy music with dreamy vocals. “To understand the killer, I must become the killer.” False ending with 2 mins left; becomes a sparser, low key instrumental ballad. Starts with fast kickdrum. Slow fade on a guitar note, then some seconds of silence at end.
3. Slow-mid, swaying ballad. Lilting vocals. “They descend upon the city like flies, spraying their eggs into a dead dog’s eyes.” Starts with sedate solo guitar strumming, then jazzy drums join in. Nice organ throughout. Gets a bit noisier toward end. Fades on organ note, then several secs of silence.
4. Sparse, slow, quiet ballad. Happy melody belies deep, and deeply sad, lyrics. “I cry for mercy/you stare back blankly.” Starts quietly with guitar and brushed snare. Organ chord ends abruptly, then several secs of silence.
5. Krautrock instrumental. Very Electrelane-like. Driving and repetitive. Fades up very slowly, reaching full volume after about 30 secs. Long, slow fade, then about 5 secs of silence.
==> 6. Introspective goth ballad. “In deserted towns and burial mounds there is beauty that no one will see.” Gorgeous, subtle, harmony vocals. Starts with minor-key guitar strumming. Second half of song has prominent organ. Song transforms into a sparse instrumental with about 1 min left. Long, slow fade, then several secs of silence.
7. Epic (>10 mins), downtempo, dark ballad that becomes bombastic and darker. Then the clouds part and it’s quiet again and then the storm circles ’round once more. “We can’t function outside of these thoughts of suicide.” Starts with quiet, plucked guitar. Ends stormy, then long slow fade... and at very end, a little bass guitar glissando.
8. Another epic (>9 mins) downtempo, dark ballad. Heavily-reverbed vocals. Starts out sounding a bit like “Time Of The Season” by The Zombies. Organ comes in and pace accelerates toward end... and keeps accelerating... and then as the dust clears it’s slow again... and slower. Final 20 seconds is extremely quiet.
|1.||Down River||5.||The Velvet Cell Reprise|
|2.||The Velvet Cell||6.||Cities Beneath The Sea|
|3.||Animals||7.||Song From Under The Arches|
|4.||Nicole||8.||See My Friends|