|Varttina / Miero|
|Add Date:||2006-02-19||Pull Date:||2006-04-23||Charts:||Reggae/World|
|Week Ending:||23 Apr||16 Apr||9 Apr||2 Apr||19 Mar||12 Mar||5 Mar||26 Feb|
|1.||Jul 12, 2017:||At the Cafe Bohemian |
|4.||Jan 06, 2009:||At the Cafe Bohemian |
|2.||Apr 05, 2017:||At the Cafe Bohemian |
|5.||May 29, 2007:||Lost and Found |
|3.||Mar 08, 2017:||Women of the World |
|6.||Oct 31, 2006:||At the Cafe Bohemian |
The Finnish band is known for its tight female vocal harmonies and serious playing of (mostly) traditional instruments by the men. On this release, the sound is decidedly dark. Even when the tempo is fast there’s a creepy thread throughout. The lyrics (don’t miss reading the translations – they’re freaky!) are also pitch black, (“my loathing drips blood, my pain slashes, curses, drenches with pus”). It’s oddly compelling – like toe-tapping dirges sung by the ship’s band on the boat to hell. Strangely beautiful, but I’m scared. Hold me.|
*1. Fast and dark w/a great sound that sucks you in.
2. More relaxed, nice strings w/a lazy darkness.
*3. Mostly midtempo w/a solid drive. Crazily whining.
4. Contemporary folk rock, driving, ominous.
5. Slow opening. Gets midtempo & almost pretty.
6. A capella voices, relaxed, a nasal sound. Can lead right into #7.
7. Midtempo, strong beat, rock-influenced folk.
*8. Relaxed & sad, gets midtempo. Great harmonies. Tragic.
9. Slow and stately w/an almost medieval sound. Sort of sadly lovely
*10. Unexpectedly jazzy. Upbeat, twisting, cool.
11. Mid/uptempo instrumental. Not as dark as some.
*12. Percolating a capella voices. Midtempo. It’s a hex, it must be!
13. Sweet fem vox. Gets dark, midtempo w/a touch of jazz.