|Various Artists / Reggae Playground|
|Artist:||Various Artists||Added:||Feb 2006|
|Label:||Putumayo World Music|
|Add Date:||2006-03-12||Pull Date:||2006-05-14||Charts:||Reggae/World|
|Week Ending:||May 14||May 7||Apr 30||Apr 16||Apr 2||Mar 26||Mar 19|
|1.||Mar 31, 2012:||New World Disorder |
|4.||Apr 29, 2006:||New World Disorder |
|2.||May 11, 2006:||One World's Moon in Pisces |
|5.||Apr 15, 2006:||New World Disorder |
Mouse In The House
|3.||May 03, 2006:||Foreplay and Sex Wax |
Here Comes The Sun
|6.||Apr 01, 2006:||New World Disorder |
[coll]: Reggae Playground (Putamayo)|
Reviewed by Sadie O., 3/10/06
Reggae for kids from artists around the world (including some famous Jamaicans). Countries of origin and times are clearly listed on back cover, yay! Everything is sweet and happy and nothing is the least bit challenging, but everything sounds really, really nice. If you feel like something simple and happy and bouncy, pretty much anything will do. It’s fun to hear the variety of sounds and languages in modern reggae.
I like 1, 4, 8 and 9 best.
1. **starts with kids chanting. Upbeat, happy ska, distinctive male vocals, chorus and kids, horns. Fun, feelgood music.
2. Starts with guitar and sweet kiddie singing. Gentle male vocals and relaxed but uptempo skank. Positivity in the face of adversity lyrics.
3. Pretty acoustic guitar groove, laidback midtempo. Male vocals (French), female chorus. Only the beat makes this reggae, really – otherwise, it’s very, very French.
4. **Top reggae diva, wonderful voice. Upbeat skank about dancing. More feelgood music!
5. Upbeat but midtempo bubble. Male vocals mostly in French, horn section. Love song to his son – sweet and happy.
6. *Cool, laid back midtempo roots reggae, highly accessible music, male vocals in Indonesian. Lyrics about economic inequality.
7. *Happy slightly relaxed tempo roots reggae cover of Beatles classic, male vocals.
8. **excellent slightly uptempo riddim, hiphop chorus and male vocals. Very much a silly kiddie song, but the beat is so cool. Fun stuff, with a nice moral.
9. **Laidback but uptempo bubble, sweet sound, especially nice bass. Female vocals in Reunion Island Creole. Cool!
10. Kiddie chorus and extremely smooth male vocals. relaxed midtempo groove. Sweet and smooth, Brazilian style.
11. Pretty uptempo and bouncy for a lullaby, but the sweet male vocals will do their best… Might work with kids; I wanna dance…
12. Rita sings a Rasta upfullness song. Slightly uptempo bubble. Fun instrumentation.
13. Toots classic, midtempo, joyous cover of “Country Roads” (“West Jamaica, mountain mama…..) Cool ska guitar.