|Album:||Rough Guide To Tanzania||Collection:||World|
|Artist:||Various Artists||Added:||Mar 2006|
|Label:||World Music Network|
|Add Date:||2006-04-02||Pull Date:||2006-06-04||Charts:||Reggae/World|
|Week Ending:||Jun 4||May 28||May 21||Apr 16|
|1.||Jun 03, 2006:||New World Disorder
|4.||Apr 15, 2006:||New World Disorder
|2.||May 23, 2006:||At the Cafe Bohemian
|5.||Apr 11, 2006:||At the Cafe Bohemian
|3.||May 20, 2006:||New World DIsorder
|6.||Apr 10, 2006:||Sunshine ... in the Afternoon
Reviewed by Sadie O., 3/20/06
Sweet and mellow, mostly Afro-beat with a few trad and a couple hip hop pieces. The state record industry of Dar Es Salaam has gotten looser lately, allowing for a fair variety of styles. Nothing (apart from maybe track 9) is too electric or electronic or big beat, though.
Nothing in English. I like 8-10 best.
1. big horns and mellow strings. Midtempo, very “AfroBeat”. Pretty and softly rhythmic.
2. *Maasai hip hop, male call and response-based, with breathing used as a rhythmic element. There are better X-Plastaz songs, but this is interesting.
3. Downtempo, really pretty female vocals, acoustic guitar and minimal percussion.
4. *Orchestra from Zanzibar – very Swahili/Middle eastern flavor. Midtempo, male vocals, mixed chorus.
5. Very traditional Dar Es Salaam dance style, male vocals and thumb piano, some percussion. Uptempo but relaxed and pretty.
6. Marimba orchestra. Midtempo, dreamy, no percussion. Just waves of thumb piano washing over you…
7. Uptempo but still mellow, some percussion, lush instrumentation, pretty solo male vocals, female chorus.
8. **Cool beat, nice hip-swiveller. Male chorus, thumb piano, 12-string and percussion.
9. **Female hip hop (mostly sung), about having married boyfriends. Interesting combination of western/African styles.
10. **part extremely traditional, part quite modern. Lots of male talking with choral response (liner notes point out this is a sort of “original hip hop”…) Nice rhythm, when the rhythm is there.
11. *Pretty, upbeat Afro-beat with a smidge of Latin in the horns. Nice male chorus. Keep this in mind for a long song when ya need it!