|Cissokho, Djeour / Au Fond De L'inconnu|
|Album:||Au Fond De L'inconnu||Collection:||World|
|Add Date:||2006-04-09||Pull Date:||2006-06-11||Charts:||Reggae/World|
Cissokho, Djeour – Au Fond de l’Inconnu (Zoom-Zoum)|
Reviewed by Sadie O., 3/15/06
Pretty, relaxed African music (Senegal) featuring the kora (stringed instrument pictured) and vocals (generally male lead and female chorus), as well as full band. Lyrics in Mandingo and French.
1. Somewhat uptempo but relaxed, call and response. Kora is lovely, but I also really like the bass. Lots of percussion, but back in mix.
2. Very slow intro, quiet kora and male/female duet in unison. Midtempo reggae beat.
3. Midtempo, sort of undefined beat. Impassioned female vocals as well as male, guitar as well as kora.
4. **Sweet reggae rhythm, very pretty vocals, but lyrics about taking human cargo to unknown lands. That’s the limit of my French…
5. Uptempo, still relaxed vibe. Gets faster and less relaxed halfway through, nice little gallop.
6. Downtempo, some female vocals. Some sort of dialog, not just call and response. Tempo and energy build somewhat, again.
7. **Midtempo, almost sounds like a steel band. Brief horn solo! Great percussion towards end.
8. Downtempo, sort of sounds like a lament. Apparently respect to ancestors? Some guitar as well as kolo. Builds tempo and energy.
9. Starts very random, then falls into sort of a bluesy groove with full band, bit of guitar and sax.
10. Uptempo, call and response. Lots of percussion, talking drum.
|4.||Au Fond De L'inconnu||9.||Mansane Cisse|