|Various Artists / Francophonie 2006|
|Add Date:||2006-03-26||Pull Date:||2006-05-28||Charts:||Reggae/World|
|Week Ending:||28 May||14 May||7 May||30 Apr||23 Apr||16 Apr||9 Apr||2 Apr|
|1.||Mon, 25 Feb 19:||Farmer Flap-Jack|
|4.||Sat, 13 Dec 14:||Eme O|
|2.||Mon, 31 Jul 17:||Farmer Flap-Jack|
|5.||Mon, 28 Apr 14:||Farmer Flap-Jack|
Happy Hour (Coverin' for PACC)
|3.||Tue, 12 Jul 16:||SOL·MAX·ION|
Clean Copper Radio
|6.||Sat, 17 Dec 11:||Eme O|
Massive and fabulous 3-CD set of music from French-speaking African nations, though not all songs are sung in French. See the notes for info (frustratingly brief at times) on the sponsoring organizations and artists/labels. After I starred the first 7 tracks, I gave up. I don't think there was any track on here that I wouldn't play on my show. You could honestly pick any track from any CD in this collection and discover a gem worth some airtime, so find your own favorite. A mix of established world artists & newcomers, from whom I'd like to hear more. Songs range from traditional Arabic to Afro-pop to hip hop with a bit of everything in-between. Everything on here is worth a listen.|
1. Lazy, downtempo vox/bass/perc/strings. Warm, sleepy, very cool.
2. Sweet, low-key vox/guitar/perc blend w/elements of Flemenco.
3. Bright & bouncy w/sweet vocals. Slows in middle, picks up again.
4. Mostly slow, solo vox/strings. Chorus adds a bright touch.
5. Slow blues guitar and vocals. Simple, powerful, and so good.
6. Sweet, sexy little Congolese rumba. Vox/pec/sax. Delicious.
7. Nicely swaying Afro-rumba w/great vocal harmonies. Yum!
8. Light, midtempo with warm vocals and a gentle sway.
9. Uptempo w/fast vocal sections. Electric guitars/perc/energetic.
10. Upbeat Senegalese dance groove w/horns/vox/per/guitars.
11. Fast perc/female vox/strings, Afro-funk. Makes you wanna dance.
12. Fast, fast hip-hop. 3 rappers from Mali. Hot!
13. Solid, midtempo Afro-reggae. Joyful, great horns/vocals.
14. Midtempo dance-pop, female vox, a happy sound.
15. Midtempo soul/funk/zouk blend for fem. vox/chorus.
1. Cool accordion & perc. A warm, rolling, mid/uptempo sound.
2. Rich fem vox/chorus/spare perc. A relaxed, powerful song.
3. Bright & swaying Congolese dance. Strong vocals.
4. Lyrical blend of vocals/acoustic guitar. Sweet, relaxing.
5. Folksy vocals, gentle perc, low key. Chorus at end.
6. Light, gentle vocals/perc/strings. Sweet and peaceful.
7. Husky, sexy fem vox/strings. Slow, with a touch of Brazil.
8. Percussion/guitar/male vox. Midtempo, jazzy, very cool.
9. Upbeat dance funk. Lots of percussion/keyboards.
10. Soaring vox, kora, guitar, perc. Midtempo, haunting. Yow!
11. Down/midtempo vocal duet w/sexy voices. Afro-Euro groove.
12. Percussion/horns/vocals. Upbeat funk.
13. Gentle, lowkey blend of tabla/vox/strings. Really lovely. Sigh…
14. Trumpet intro, perc/vox/guitars. Midtempo, meandering.
1. 3 singers/9 musicians Arabic w/a fairly traditional sound. Mid/up
2. Fast percussion jam w/drums & wood clacking. Instrumental. Cool
3. Trad. Arabic instruments/vox. Upbeat w/a rich/fun energy.
4. Lovely balafon solo. Bright, happy w/nice buzzing echo. Instr.
5. Upbeat but lowkey, w/kind of shrill fem voices/perc.
6. Lute/perc, soaring call/response vox. Mid/up, Moroccan sound.
7. Fuzzy bass, xylophone, call/response vox. Mid/up, so cool.
8. Upbeat perc/claps/bass/vocals a lightly funky w/a catchy groove.
9. Down/midtempo electro-lounge w/kittenish fem vocals.
10. Fuzzy Lebanese hip hop w/a downtempo lounge groove.
11. Afro-reggae-hip hop. Mid/uptempo.
12. Fem hip hop against a smooth funk/reggae/soul groove. Mid.
13. Midtempo hip hop with solid beats.
14. Tag-team hip hop in French w/a relaxed beat & sweet chorus.
15. Afro-pop w/European influences. Mid/uptempo, anthem-esque.