|Valdes, Bebo / Bebo De Cuba|
|Album:||Bebo De Cuba||Collection:||World|
|Add Date:||2006-05-28||Pull Date:||2006-07-30||Charts:||Reggae/World|
|Week Ending:||30 Jul||23 Jul||16 Jul||9 Jul||2 Jul||25 Jun||18 Jun||11 Jun|
|1.||Oct 18, 2016:||10-18-2016 |
Copla No. 4
|4.||Jul 07, 2012:||Bouge Mood |
El Son De Cecilio
|2.||Aug 05, 2015:||8-5-2015 |
|5.||Jul 17, 2010:||Music Casserole |
El Guajeo De Rickard
|3.||Jun 08, 2013:||Music Casserole |
Nocturno en batanga
|6.||Jan 09, 2007:||At the Cafe Bohemian |
A fabulous 2-disc collection that’s a showcase for this 87-year old Cuban pianist/arranger/composer & features a Who’s Who of Latin music: Paquito D’Rivera, Luis Bonilla, Ray Vega, Juan Pablo Torres and about a dozen others. All tracks are jazzy instrumental Cuban dances. The playing throughout is gorgeous, each solo is rock-solid. It’s captivating, sophisticated, and fantastically good. Great notes too. One of the best of the year. All tracks cmposed, arranged, and conducted by Valdes. At least one star per track – you can’t go wrong. I am in love with this album.|
Disc 1 is a swinging, big band sound full of dishy horns. It explores Afro-Cuban rhythms while paying homage to (among others) his wife, Dizzy Gillespie, and Cachao Lopez.
1. Short, swinging instrumental. Only :29.
2. Sexy midtempo mambo. Yummy work from all esp. horns.
3. Big, bright, brassy dance w/ a cool syncopated break.
4. Sweet, playful progression of perc/horns. Upbeat, so damn good!
5. Part old-fashioned big band romance/part hot Cuban jazz. We like.
6. Jazzy, sunny, w/lots of brass. Piano flashback to “Summer Place”
7. Warm & swaying batanga w/nice tradeoffs of solos.
8. Reprise of #1, this time as a conga. Again….too short!
Disc 2 features a smaller, more intimate sound. An octet let by Valdes at piano and comprised of select musicians from CD 1.
1. Sweet, mellow, and delicious. With great horns/perc/piano.So good
2. Light & swaying dance. Solid percussion solo, midtempo & solid.
3. Slow, romantic. A fabulous slow dance with your sweetie. Sigh…
4. Playful and bright mid/uptempo groove w/style for days.
5. Elec. guitar adds a nice touch to this warm, midtempo dance.
6. Sweet clarinet/guitar. A relaxed love song w/lots of charm.
7. Old-fashioned romance. Music to fall in love to.
8. Upbeat, nicely brassy. Cool guitar/trombone solos. Solid perc.
9. Slow, gentle love song. Nostalgic, w/a soft, small club sound.
10. Classic Cuban jazz jam. Upbeat, solid solos, great work from all.