|Rahman, A.R. / Introducing A.R. Rahman|
|Album:||Introducing A.R. Rahman||Collection:||World|
|Label:||Times Square Records|
|Add Date:||2006-06-11||Pull Date:||2006-08-13||Charts:||Reggae/World|
|Week Ending:||13 Aug||6 Aug||30 Jul||23 Jul||16 Jul||9 Jul||2 Jul||18 Jun|
|1.||Jun 24, 2017:||Soft-Biz |
|4.||Oct 25, 2016:||It's Bollywood, It's Hollywood |
Minsara Kanna, Chinna Chinna Aasai, Chinna Chinna Aasai, Bombay Theme Music
|2.||Apr 30, 2017:||Moonrise Kingdom |
Uyire Uyire, Bombay Theme Music
|5.||Oct 22, 2013:||It's Bollywood, It's HOllywoopd |
|3.||Nov 29, 2016:||It's Bollywood, It's Hollywood |
Kannaalaney, Chinna Chinna Aasai, Bombay Theme Music
|6.||Sep 24, 2013:||It's Bollywood |
Chinna Chinna Aasai, Alai Payuthey
Rahman, A.R. – Introducing A.R. Rahman (Times Square)|
Reviewed by Sadie O., 5/31/06
Arguably India’s greatest composer – notably of film music, here for Tamil rather than Bollywood movies. So we don’t have any “hits”, which is a shame because his hits are damn good, but the Tamil stuff is interesting too (and his native music/language/culture). Interesting mix of South Asian and western musical forms. He’s also got some mindboggling singers and players.Lots of complexity and changes within songs – good “filmy” music tells a story and sets a mood, and his music is perfect for visuals. (“Classical” here refers to classical Indian music in general, including devotional chants.)
All in Tamil. Collection seems to get both more South Asian and more creative as it goes along. Try around the middle of CD 2.
1. flute and bells intro, slow and low-key orchestral instrumental.
2. *Slow fade in, bouncy midtempo dancey number with sweet female vocals. Nice bit of percussion in middle, male chorus.
3. ** female vocals do a complex classical-based interplay, then downtempo with sweet and slightly sad female vocals. Nice tabla. A beautiful scene.
4. **Midtempo, complex drums, male vocals. Some crazy sax midway through, wild interplay of vocals, sax and tabla at end.
5. Odd hummed intro, downtempo, extremely sweet male vocal.
6. **uptempo and complex, but a bit downbeat, nice Indian instrumentation, male vocals. Nice percussion in middle.
7. **Interesting hand drums, then solo female vocals, then uptempo syncopation with choruses. Turns into midtempo duet.
8. ***vocalized and other percussion, then downtempo female vocals. very cool percussion throughout.
9. **Very slow, drone and female vocals. Then crazy uptempo tabla – whew!
10. *Extremely sweet female vocal intro, then midtempo cool bounce.
11. *Midtempo violins and sitar/tabla bounce. A fair amount of western orchestral intervention.
12. ***Dramatic tabla intro, then slightly uptempo urgent beat. Astonishing vocal gymnastics at end.
1. drone and classic female vocals, subtle beat.
2. **Slightly uptempo tabla, male vocals, more classical influence. Music builds somewhat during song.
3. **Low key female vocal intro, atmospheric relaxed groove with a bit of electronica, occasional patches of near-bhangra.
4. ***Sitar, tabla and female chanting, virtuouso female lead vocals, ethereal midtempo groove. Surprise sax solo!
5. ***Highly theatrical intro, cool midtempo beat, male vocals. Music was reused for a Bollywood movie, but damned if I can place it… Amazing vocals and drumming.
6. ***midtempo hand drums and female chanting, rather mysterious vibe.
7. *Slow, sweet rolling rhythm. Nothing ought to be this pretty; it ain’t natural.
8. ***This beat is SICK cool! Midtempo, spare but danceable. Amazing sounds. Ends with a scream, oddly.
9. Ethereal opening, hums and flute. Never does get a beat. Female vocals, rather sad/devotional.
10. *Slow opening, downtempo tabla groove w/ female vocals.
11. *haunting horn opening, midtempo beat comes together, builds slowly, many voices. Hey, that’s a BANJO!
12. *Amazing female vocal, slow but insistent beat. Very simple but evocative.
13. **Pretty male vocals, uptempo but relaxed groove with water sounds. Builds into a pleasant secret dance sort of thing. Don’t ask me what’s with all the giggling….
|1.||Bombay Theme Music||13.||Alai Payuthey|
|2.||Chinna Chinna Aasai||14.||Varaaga Nathi|
|3.||Kannaalaney||15.||Idhu Manmatha Maadham|
|5.||Ennavale Adi Ennavaley||17.||Thom Karuvil Irunthom|
|8.||Yaro Yarodi||20.||Kulichaa Kutthalam|
|12.||Minsara Kanna||24.||Poraalae 2|
|25.||Nthiyae Nathiyae (Water)|