|Various Artists / Reggae Times In Africa|
|Album:||Reggae Times In Africa||Collection:||Reggae|
|Artist:||Various Artists||Added:||Jun 2006|
|Add Date:||2006-06-25||Pull Date:||2006-08-27||Charts:||Reggae/World|
|Week Ending:||Aug 27||Aug 20||Aug 6||Jul 30||Jul 23||Jul 16||Jul 9||Jul 2|
|1.||Aug 22, 2006:||New World Disorder |
|4.||Jul 25, 2006:||New World Disorder |
|2.||Aug 15, 2006:||New World Disorder |
|5.||Jul 18, 2006:||New World Disorder |
|3.||Aug 01, 2006:||New World Disorder |
Banani, Problemes Conjugaux
|6.||Jul 11, 2006:||New World Disorder |
[coll]: Reggae Times in Africa (Sono Africa)|
Reviewed by Sadie O., 6/22/06
Tasty compilation of African reggae, mostly from Mali and the Ivory Coast. Some really beautiful choices here, although tantalizingly few, given the rich pickings possible. All have very slick production, but mostly not overly westernized or “pop”.
No FCCs – nothing in English. All quite good, 3 & 11 IMO best.
1. 4:55 **slightly uptempo, bouncy groove, call and response mostly in French. A hint of thumb piano, some car screeches…
2. 4:03 ***dramatic intro into slightly downtempo skank, happy and sweet sounding, given the title! Sweet vocals, brilliant production.
3. 6:15 ****call and response intro, strong midtempo skank. Clear African roots, but great roots rock reggae. Beautiful!
4. 4:23 **midtempo, big horns, sweet vocals.
5. 5:33 **uptempo and very bouncy, butt-wiggler, call and response vocals, kinda slick but yummy.
6. 4:14 **downbeat piano and spoken intro, midtempo skank, gorgeous vocals mostly in French.
7. 3:59 **slow orchestral intro, then downtempo bubble, lovely male vocals.
8. 3:50 *slightly downtempo with lots of bells, interesting vocals. A bit overmuch synthesized instrumentation/production.
9. 5:28 **a bit downtempo call and response, again lots of instrumentation with odd bells, but very nice vocals.
10. 4:11 ***starts with coughing, crazy dance beat, then uptempo synthesized, almost dancehall, high very traditional African vocals. Interesting combo!
11. 4:11 ****big midtempo roots reggae sound with African-rootsy female vocals and chorus. Solo vocals mid-song.
12. 4:38 ***vocals and keyboards intro, then uptempo skank with lots of horns and energy, pretty vocals.