|Add Date:||2006-07-02||Pull Date:||2006-09-03||Charts:||Reggae/World|
|Week Ending:||Sep 3||Aug 27||Aug 20||Aug 13||Aug 6||Jul 30||Jul 23||Jul 16|
|1.||Jun 27, 2019:||Global Ginga
Marianao, Cachita, Istanbul (Not Constantinople), Tabú, Ay Caramba!
|4.||Sep 30, 2009:||public noize racket
|2.||Nov 02, 2016:||At the Cafe Bohemian
Istanbul (Not Constantinople)
|5.||May 16, 2009:||Music Casserole
|3.||Dec 20, 2012:||Cacao!
No Me Desesperes
|6.||May 20, 2008:||The Professor Barnaby J. Finkerton Variety Hour -- Music that Appears to be of L
Chispa Tren, Tabú
Reviewed by Sadie O., 6/30/06
Cuban ska, with big horns and lots of syncopation, a few other Caribbean elements, a fondness for old-time hits, and a hint of Africa. Pay no attention to the fact that the guys on the cover look like the world’s biggest idiots, this is a GREAT CD! A London DJ with a huge collection of old Cuban 78’s and a Cuban singer from Santiago de Cuba (the musical hub of Cuba) are vocalists. All songs are translated in the liner notes if you’re interested. This swings like nobody’s business.
No FCCs, all songs are FANTASTIC, I like track 9 best.
1. ***midtempo syncopated cumbia/ska bounce with great big band horns, vocals in Spanish.
2. **Somewhat uptempo ska, vocals in English, subtle syncopation.
3. ***Bongos! And slightly uptempo ska, vocals in Spanish. Slightly “exotic” minor key sound with a hint of Babalu…
4. **Somewhat uptempo, great bounce, vocals in Spanish. Galloping ska and Afro-Cuban nightclub music mesh perfectly.
5. ***Midtempo, more cumbia than ska, vocals in Spanish, seriously danceable and upbeat. Not to wiggle is not an option.
6. **Midtempo bounce, classic 50’s double-entendre number in English, silly and fun, with a hint of “rum and coca cola”.
7. **Slightly uptempo, sweet and pretty with flutes, kids’ song about frogs but could easily be a beach song about mojitos.
8. **Slightly uptempo ska/rumba.
9. ****midtempo cumbia/ska cover of a 20’s novelty tune, vocals in English, absolutely infectious groove with piano, horns, big drums. Caliente!
10. **midtempo ska, vocals in Spanish, cover of classic Cuban number.
11. **Cute! Midtempo bouncy cover of a 20’s (EXTREMELY 20’s) novelty instrumental about a train (and grain alcohol)…
12. ***driving midtempo ska, classic subject, English vocals.
13. ***vocal call and response intro, midtempo Haitian merengue with tons of syncopation. African elements dominate, with a hint of Caribo-latinism.
14. ***Midtempo big-band cumbia instrumental that goes down VERY smooth.
|2.||Ay Caramba!||9.||Istanbul (Not Constantinople)|
|4.||Oye Compay Juan||11.||Chispa Tren|
|5.||No Me Desesperes||12.||Jezebel|
|7.||Tungarara||14.||Cumbia En Do Menor|