|Various Artists / Streets Of Bollywood And Beyond, The|
|Album:||Streets Of Bollywood And Beyond, The||Collection:||World|
|Label:||Times Square Records|
|Add Date:||2006-07-02||Pull Date:||2006-09-03||Charts:||Reggae/World|
|Week Ending:||3 Sep||27 Aug||20 Aug||13 Aug||6 Aug||30 Jul||23 Jul||16 Jul|
|1.||Aug 30, 2006:||Not Storytime |
Say Na, Say Na
|4.||Aug 15, 2006:||New World Disorder |
Say Na, Say Na
|2.||Aug 22, 2006:||New World Disorder |
|5.||Aug 08, 2006:||New World Disorder |
|3.||Aug 17, 2006:||Storytime! |
Afreen Afreen (Dance Mix)
|6.||Aug 06, 2006:||Boo Disorder |
[coll]: Streets of Bollywood and Beyond (Times Square)|
Reviewed by Sadie O., 6/28/06
Modern urban Indian (and Indian expat) dance music, movie music, remixes, mostly out of England. Wide range of quality – some gawdawful commercial tripe and a few inspired moments. Track 1 and 12 are infectious dance treats from a recent hit movie, track 13 (with Nusret Fateh Ali Khan) and 14 (by A.R. Rahman) are brilliant, there are a couple of decent English style Bhangra cuts, and tracks 8-10 suck so hard it hurts.
FCC on track 9, which is pure shite anyway.
1. 3:15 ***midtempo high energy urban Bhangra, female vocalist. From the recent hit movie “Bluffmaster”. Highly infectious!
2. 3:22 *somewhat downtempo and relaxed beat, sound collage with some pretty female vocals and a bit of English pop hip hop.
3. 5:00 *midtempo dance Hindi remix with English (rather bland) rap. Nice sound overall, though.
4. 5:07 **midtempo dance groove with really fun sound – unfortunately the rap in English is even worse than the last cut.
5. 4:16 ***midtempo Bhangra, with some traditional style male/female back and forth, a lot of remix from huge hit movie with Shahrukh Khan from several years ago.
6. 6:02 *slow, with toast/rap by English DJ Cheshire Cat, female Hindi singer.
7. 3:45 *midtempo remix of hit from Hum Aapke Hain Koun a few years back, with a bit of English rap.
8. 4:28 slow, pop, really rather awful, puerile female singing in English…
9. 3:04 FCC 0:30, 1:10, etc. “shit”; downtempo hip hop with very little Indian influence or interest.
10. 4:13 midtempo remix duet with another rather awful English rap really spoiling a decent Bollywood hit.
11. 5:35 **somewhat downtempo Bhangra, lots of Indian vocals and bit of OK English/Jamaican rap.
12. 3:57 ***slightly uptempo dance with fun vocals. Hit from Bluffmaster with samples from much earlier filmi hits, including the fun and goofy Eena Meena Deeka which was recently on a-file.
13. 5:45 ****downtempo remix featuring Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, rather trance-y and devotional, but with some cool beat.
14. 5:45 ****Amazing mashup of styles from A.R. Rahman and the film Paarthale Paravasam, which I think is Tamil? Midtempo, bongos, acoustic guitar, lovely vocals, sinister undercurrent. Amazing ending. A.R. Rahman roolz!