|Various Artists / Classic African-American Ballads|
|Album:||Classic African-American Ballads||Collection:||Blues|
|Add Date:||2006-07-09||Pull Date:||2006-09-10||Charts:||Blues|
|Week Ending:||3 Sep||13 Aug||6 Aug||30 Jul||23 Jul||16 Jul|
|1.||Jan 21, 2022:||Traditions |
Betty And Dupree, Lost John, John Henry, Railroad Bill, John Hardy, Casey Jones
|4.||Feb 09, 2013:||Music Casserole |
|2.||Jun 12, 2021:||Rebroadcast: Music Casserole |
|5.||May 28, 2010:||Buford J. Sharkley's Rodent Show |
Mouse On The Hill
|3.||Jul 25, 2015:||Music Casserole |
|6.||May 02, 2009:||Music Casserole |
Gallis Pole, Lost John, Staggerlee, Casey Jones
Fabulous collection of black ballads (story songs) composed in the heyday of the tradition (1890-1920). Songs range from protests against white oppression to blues ballads to commentary on current events, tales of the working man, crime, and love gone wrong. Take the time to read the fascinating notes about the songs and the history of the art form. Each track is a true gem – although all are just plain too short – and each deserving of play. This CD is an amazing slice of American history and fantastic music. I love this. Love it, I say.|
All vocals are male, by the way. No FCCs. Play is all, folks!
1. Light mid, sweet guitar & cool kinda rough vox. Applause at end.
2. A capella, midtempo Casey Jones. Lazily liquid voice.
3. Toe-tapping w/good droning accordion & Leadbelly vocals.
4. Midtempo & bluesy w/nasally vocals & smooth guitar work.
5. Downtempo duet w/cool jazzy overtones. So smooth…
6. Solid harmonica & guitar, vocal duet, a classic blues strut.
7. Downtempo classic. Great guitar break & understated vocals.
8. Vox/guitar/harmonica. Folksy toe-tapping Staggerlee. Great harp
9. Downtempo prison work song. Call-response vox. Haunting.
10. Honey-smooth vox, guitar. A relaxed folk tale of love & crime.
11. Starts slow, gets bouncy. A prison escape song by Leadbelly.
12. Slick organ/vox/harp/guit. Driving midtempo, churchy blues.
13. Surprisingly jaunty song about the Titanic w/class commentary.
14. Midtempo folk classic for guitar & warm vocal.
15. Fast, fast bluegrass jam for strings & high, nasally vox. Yee haw
16. Lazy w/great strings & odd, nasally voice. Applause at end.
17. Midtempo folk by Woody Guthrie. About killing his wife.
18. Powerful, downtempo a capella track.
19. Midtempo guitar/vox w/ a catchy melody.
20. Fast, frantic strings/vox. Almost trips over itself.
21. Midtempo toe-tapper w/ gruff vox & nicely driving guitar.
22. A more modern, jazzy sound. Relaxed. My least fav. track.