|Dub Trio / New Heavy|
|Add Date:||2006-07-16||Pull Date:||2006-09-17||Charts:||Reggae/World|
|Week Ending:||3 Sep||27 Aug||13 Aug||6 Aug||30 Jul||23 Jul|
|1.||Jan 26, 2020:||Alphabet Soup |
|4.||Aug 29, 2006:||New World Disorder |
Not Alone Featuring Mike Patton
|2.||Aug 13, 2009:||Happy Hour |
Screaming At The Sea
|5.||Aug 22, 2006:||New World Disorder |
One Man Tag Crew
|3.||Dec 02, 2006:||New World Bloodstains |
Jack Bauer, Illegal Dub
|6.||Aug 10, 2006:||Happy Hour |
Cool Out And Coexist
Dub Trio – New Heavy (ROIR)|
Reviewed by Sadie O., 7/7/06
Metal Dub –listed in iTunes as Reggae, but the instrumentation is more power trio than roots rock. Interesting mix of thrash, heavy metal, and reggae riddim, all with dub overlay. All instrumentals with the exception of track 2, featuring Mike Patton. Many songs start out pure metal then morph to rootsy (yet hard) dub, some return to metal.
I like both metal and reggae, so I enjoyed the record – if you only like one or the other genre, you might not.
No discernable FCCs on track 2. I like 10 best, then 1, 5 and 6.
1. ***hyperspeed, rather garage-y thrash, changing to midtempo crunge then rather uptempo roots reggae dub then back to crunge. All pretty drum-heavy, instrumental.
2. **Downtempo, mostly falsetto vocals by Mike Patton, subdued drum and bass with bursts of loud guitar. Long electronica ending.
3. *Thrash metal in bursts, then midtempo dub starting halfway through. Could stand to be a lot longer!
4. *Starts with bits of piano, then heavy thump, odd glitchy metallic dub. It’s actually a very slow reggae drumbeat, but hardly reggae-sounding.
5. ***Loud midtempo, rather polyrhythmic, metal turning into a funky reggae beat with lots of dubby effect. Lots of changes in a short number.
6. ***Back and forth between midtempo metal and thrash, then somewhat uptempo roots dub with lots of interesting sounds.
7. *Cool riddim with Iron Man effects – should be LOTS longer.
8. **Sweet melodica intro, sparse midtempo dub skank – not particularly metal.
9. **Loud slow grunge intro, then slow dub metal skank. Glitches in last third, and back to grunge.
10. ****Far away guitar intro, rest of instruments come in after a few seconds (do not adjust your levels! It’s pretty loud!) hyperspeed drums, heavy guitars. Think Faith No More. Then midtempo dub.
11. Starts with leftover feedback from previous song, all electronica and no beat, pretty creepy sounding. Some of you will LOVE this…
There’s a second CD with four cuts, including a shorter “radio edit” of the track with Mike Patton. Otherwise nothing new there.
|1.||Illegal Dub||6.||One Man Tag Crew|
|2.||Not Alone Featuring Mike Patton||7.||Yes You Can't|
|3.||Angle Of Acceptance||8.||Sunny I'm Kill|
|4.||Table Rock Dub||9.||Screaming At The Sea|
|5.||Jack Bauer||10.||Cool Out And Coexist|