|Ras Midas / Reaching Out|
|Add Date:||2006-07-23||Pull Date:||2006-09-24||Charts:||Reggae/World|
|Week Ending:||27 Aug||13 Aug||6 Aug||30 Jul|
|1.||Aug 22, 2006:||New World Disorder |
|4.||Aug 06, 2006:||Boo Disorder |
|2.||Aug 10, 2006:||Dub Dub Dub |
Crazy World, They Don't Like
|5.||Aug 03, 2006:||Happy Hour |
World Of Catastrophe
|3.||Aug 08, 2006:||New World Disorder |
World Of Catastrophe
|6.||Aug 01, 2006:||New World Disorder |
Reviewed by Sadie O., 7/12/06|
Modern roots rock reggae by Santa Cruz’s favorite Jamaican import. Beats are great (pretty much all midtempo and danceable), but the production varies between inspired and overly commercial and the backing girls can be a bit annoying. Midas has a reedy but pleasant voice, and the lyrics are seriously politically righteous.
No FCCs, unless you’re concerned about that “damn” in track 1.
I like 1 and 14 best, stuff with one star is just a bit too slick…
1. ****midtempo dance reggae shuffle with political hip hop vocals and Midas’ singing. Cool funky bass. Very minor FCC – “don’t mean a damn thing”…
2. *nice downtempo groove wrecked a bit by commercial sounding keyboards and backing vocals. Still a sweet sound.
3. **Modern sounding funky electronic riddim, sweet rootsy vocals, about dangers of Babylon white powder…
4. ***upbeat midtempo roots rock skank, upfull. Compelling as heck!
5. *Great drum and bass, odd keyboards and backing vocals. Upfull lyrics.
6. **Slightly uptempo funky skank, pointed political message.
7. *very commercial production, but the beat is cool and there’s some nice funky groove to it. Sweet bit of dancehall toasting.
8. *Rather downbeat skank, nice rhythm section, livity lyrics, soulful delivery.
9. *Sort of Curtis Mayfieldish intro, somewhat uptempo bounce, about struggle of women.
10. *midtempo strong skank, love song.
11. **good solid midtempo roots groove, praise-full lyrics. Dunno who invited Kenny G to join in, though.
12. *slightly relaxed groove, but a strong funky beat and good lyrics.
13. ***somewhat downtempo, nice beat, truly odd mix of the Book of Revelation and leftist politics. Dancehall toast.
14. ****killer midtempo funky groove skank, hardcore political diatribe.
15. ***strong midtempo skank, more political diatribe.