|Various Artists / Version Dread: Dub Specialist|
|Album:||Version Dread: Dub Specialist||Collection:||Reggae|
|Add Date:||2006-08-13||Pull Date:||2006-10-15||Charts:||Reggae/World|
|Week Ending:||8 Oct||27 Aug||20 Aug|
|1.||Feb 08, 2008:||6ft underground |
|3.||Aug 22, 2006:||New World Disorder |
|2.||Oct 03, 2006:||New World Disorder |
It Deep Pt. 2
|4.||Aug 15, 2006:||New World Disorder |
It Deep Pt. 2
[coll]: Version Dread: Dub Specialist (Heartbeat/Studio One)|
Reviewed by Sadie O., 8/10/06
Proto-dub Reggae – instrumental B-sides from Coxsone Dodd/Studio One. These were called “Versions”, and are the roots of dub, as well as of Hip Hop. At dance halls, the DJs would play versions and “toast” over them – which is where Rap started. Some vocals are left in, and often instruments dropped out – this allowed the DJ to stage a sort of conversation with the singers of the original. (See fx: Scotty and Lorna’s “Skank in Bed” remake of her hit “Breakfast in Bed”.) Many versions are still used by dancehall stars like Buju Banton and Bounty Killer.
No FCCs. All tracks are great fun, although some are probably cut from pretty crappy masters. Because most do include vocals at various points, they’re probably not very good for soundbeds.
I think 8 and 17 are manna from heaven.
1. **midtempo, languid bubble.
2. ***downtempo rocksteady, spoken intro and bits of fake sirens and great harmonies.
3. **mellow traveller’s lope, almost C&W, bits of Burning Spear vocals.
4. **upbeat midtempo rock steady, lots of horns
5. ***version of Armagideon Time – sounds like the master’s in bad shape, but a great version nonetheless.
6. **midtempo skank, piano and bits of nice harmonies.
7. ***bubble with wah wah, great harmonies.
8. ****lunatic noises, mystery skank. Dubby.
9. ***upbeat skank with talking, weird-ass keyboards.
10. **upbeat bubble
11. **another one
12. ***upbeat skank with demented sounding rant
13. **upbeat bubble
14. ***great dance bubble (maybe it’s a bunny hop) – fun
15. **bopping bubble, bits of vocals with music cut out
16. ***upbeat lover’s rock skank, cool riddim guitar and percussion
17. ****crazy uptempo chugging rhythm, somewhere between rock ‘n’ roll and spirituals.
18. **rather downbeat, relaxed vibe, groovy, lots of guitar solo.