Mustang Lightning – Texas Voodoo Surf (NOT THE SAME TRACKS AS THE OTHER LISTING OF THIS TITLE)
Reviewed by Sadie O., 8/21/06
Surf twang skatepunk. Mostly instrumentals, mostly very 60’s twist kinda sound, mostly very similar sounding. It happens to be a sound I dig the mostest, man…
NB: almost every has the cutoff between tracks in the wrong place. Be prepared to hit Off a couple of seconds early…
No FCCs. I like track 11 cause I love very early Who, but the first couple of cuts are great too, and most of the rest are solid surf/skate.
1. 2:19 ***starts with car revving, uptempo heavy surf instrumental with groovy syncopated woodblock and gnarly bass.
2. 3:14 ***starts with a bit of talking, downtempo twangy bop with a bit of screaming. The cutoff between this track and the next one is about 4 seconds early, which sucks for both tracks…
3. 1:31 *starts a bit cut off, per above. Pure punk with horse snorts
4. 4:01 **downtempo, Cramps-like groove with a bit more twang. Some talking over instrumental. Beware of improper cutoff at end.
5. 2:28 **drum ‘n’ bass, punky. Minimalist singing.
6. 1:59 **groovy rock ‘n’ roll with accordion. Tex-Hex!
7. 2:08 **uptempo surf twang. Very Ventures.
8. 1:53 **midtempo twist and skate. Yee haw!
9. 2:20 **midtempo twist surf with reverb.
10. 2:53 **starts with footsteps and talking, midtempo surf beat cover with guitar solo
11. 3:03 ****sounds very much like very early Who. Lots of vocals.
12. 2:25 **midtempo twist, ends a few seconds early with random sounds.
13. 1:05 **midtempo cowpoke beat with skatepunk guitar and rather goofy song.
14. 3:11 ***odd start, groovy 60’s proto-punk sound. Ends with a few seconds of guitar that belong to the next track.
15. untitled bonus 19 seconds, solo guitar, rather pretty actually.