|Various Artists / Fallin' Off The Reel|
|Album:||Fallin' Off The Reel||Collection:||General|
|Label:||Truth & Soul Records|
|Add Date:||2006-10-22||Pull Date:||2006-12-24|
|Week Ending:||24 Dec||17 Dec||10 Dec||3 Dec||26 Nov||19 Nov||12 Nov||5 Nov|
|1.||May 16, 2012:||Jumping from the Hump! (with Lee Fields) |
Mas Y Mas
|4.||Dec 19, 2006:||How Many Licks Does It Take, Mr. Owl? |
|2.||Feb 16, 2007:||Covering No Cover |
|5.||Dec 12, 2006:||How Many Licks Does It Take, Mr. Owl |
C.R.E.A.M., K.C. Stomp
|3.||Dec 23, 2006:||24-hour Blues Marathon |
|6.||Dec 12, 2006:||New World Disorder |
Gotta Clean Up The World Pt. I
[coll:] Fallin’ Off the Reel, vol. 1 (Truth & Soul)|
Reviewed by Sadie O, 11/13/06
Collection of funk/Latin 7” singles from Truth & Soul. No years are given, but I get the impression there’s a wide time span involved. Some cuts are to die for, so funky and cool it hurts, and others SUCK. Ha ha!
No FCCs. Try tracks 2-7 and 15-19 and avoid the unctuous slow jams of 8-14 with all your strength. Unless you LIKE unctuous slow jams…
1. 0:32 30 seconds of static and beats
2. 2:44 ***somewhat uptempo super-fly mamboliciousness, vocals w/out lyrics.
3. 2:15 ***really hot uptempo drumming. Settles down to wahwah guitar for last few seconds.
4. 3:31 ****groovy midtempo bass-driven funky mambo with female Brazilian singer.
5. 0:59 **somewhat downtempo relaxed groove, rather hypnotic
6. 2:38 ***somewhat downtempo relaxed mambo, with big horns, instrumental, again rather hypnotic
7. 3:32 ***midtempo ultrafunk with some very odd guitar (?) solo. Odd trumpet, too – strange but groovy.
8. 3:23 rather smarmy slow groove with a semi-charming lack of slickness.
9. 3:17 *slow groove, spoken word and soulful singing – think Barry White…
10. 3:41 another slow groove, restrained music and soulful lament.
11. 3:09 *midtempo funky orchestral jam instrumental.
12. 3:28 *slow jam with vibes, some time signature changes. If you get a smooth jazz urge, this is fairly harmless.
13. 2:58 slow jam with violins. I’m having a hard time finding the funk…
14. 3:11 *midtempo relaxed semi-funky instrumental with strings and horns
15. 2:54 **somewhat downtempo and relaxed but fairly funky instrumental Wu Tang cover.
16. 3:30 **somewhat downtempo and dramatic guitar and horns-based instrumental Wu Tang cover.
17. 2:27 ***midtempo funky fresh and clean – the funk of the 60’s. Groovy echo-y vocals.
18. 2:01 ***instrumental of track 17 – excellent! Think Bootsy and Maceo.
19. 2:23 **Bonus Track – So Glad by The Evil D’s. midtempo hypnotic instrumental, funky yet stoned.