|Diabate, Mamadou / Heritage|
|Add Date:||2007-01-14||Pull Date:||2007-03-18||Charts:||Reggae/World|
|Week Ending:||18 Mar||11 Mar||4 Mar||18 Feb||11 Feb||4 Feb||28 Jan||21 Jan|
|1.||Mon, 23 Jan 12:||MC Cee|
|4.||Tue, 13 Mar 07:||Decca|
At the Cafe Bohemian
|2.||Fri, 31 Aug 07:||mike|
Baptism of Solitude (extended remix)
|5.||Sat, 10 Mar 07:||mufaor|
|3.||Sun, 18 Mar 07:||Glenn Smith|
|6.||Wed, 28 Feb 07:||mike|
Baptism of Solitude
One of the undisputed Malian kora (21-string harp) masters. He’s fabulously gifted and truly poetic. Here joined on various tracks by guitar, balafon, percussion, bass). All instrumentals, expertly played and warm. Even in the slow tracks, there is joy. He lives in the US now, and the influence of American jazz is obvious, but not jarring.|
*1. Happy, bright, w/a sweet jazzy guitar flair for extra yummyness.
2. Midtempo & hopeful w/a happy balafon bounce & great kora work.
*3. Starts mid, gets uptempo w/fast, fiery kora work.
4. Slower, an homage to AIDS orphans in Africa. Sweet, sad, lovely.
*5. Guitar intro, midtempo. Lyrical w/great interplay between strings.
6. Just kora & bass, relaxed, almost lazy, but pretty.
*7. Tripping balafon, busy strings, cool perc. Upbeat & so good.
8. Mid/uptempo love song w/jazz guitar & sweet strings.
9. A fairly traditional sound w/bright, upbeat strings & solid playing.
*10. Sweet, midtempo w/bluesy guitar & a light, playful air.
*11. Tight arrangement, great playing from all, mid/uptempo.
*12. Solo kora. Midtempo, a true tour-de-force. Bravo.