|Wovenhand / Mosaic|
|Add Date:||2006-11-12||Pull Date:||2007-01-14|
|Week Ending:||Dec 31||Dec 3||Nov 26||Nov 19|
|1.||Jun 06, 2007:||Anywhere Out Of The World |
Slota Prow Full Armour
|4.||Apr 03, 2007:||At Your Local Dive |
|2.||May 03, 2007:||Finneman's Market |
|5.||Apr 03, 2007:||Lost & Found |
|3.||Apr 05, 2007:||Sunshine ... in the Afternoon |
Bible And Bird, Swedish Purse (playing tonite at 750 Club, Stanford campus-cosponsored by KZSU)
|6.||Apr 02, 2007:||Headcleaner |
Soft, hypnotically urgent folk of the Denver ilk. David Eugene Edwards (formerly of 16 Horsepower) meanders his musings through coldly atmospheric tracks on his third(ish) solo album. Religious-themed lyrics mix hope with a mournfulness that perfectly complements DEE's ardent, weary vox. This album feels a bit subdued and smoothed in comparison to his earlier work. Really excellent. See also: 16 Horsepower, Lilium, The Denver Gentlemen, Nick Cave, Munly|
No FCCs. Play any non-bookend track, but my picks are: 2, 9, 11, 5, 8, 10
1. 1:30 - Very low energy instrumental. Ambient, fadey bandoneon and pump organ drone to a vaguely Eastern tonality.
**2. 3:43 - Driving, hollow percussion over mixed instrumentation (esp. hurdy-gurdy) that drones and occasionally reels up to the front of the sound. Pulsing, anthemic Native American feel. No fade at end.
3. 3:30 - Mid/low energy. Great organ and plucked banjo sound at intro. Vamped plucking and repetitive structure.
4. 2:11 - Hollow perc strike into slow, droning intro. Organ, muffled perc, and soft vox float over atmospheric undertones. Text is from a 4th century chant by St. Ambrose.
*5. 4:40 - Mid energy. Wintery piano, dry plucked strings, and mature, catchy melody, but peters out a bit at the end.
6. 3:17 - Super-spooky 3/4. Ends with awesome bent bell sounds.
7. 2:21 - Simple, upbeat and major mid-energy instrumental. Almost bluegrassy.
*8. 4:42 - Mid energy two-feel with plucked guitar and strings.
**9. 5:53 - Low energy Middle Eastern sound, with drones and distorted, near-spoken vox perfectly accentuated by sparse but loud percussive strikes. Mood switch at 3:50 to a more upbeat, melodic feel.
*10. 3:33 - Mid energy. Smooth and urgently brooding.
**11. 5:34 - A ploddingly swung and reedy 12/8 song with an ardent cinematic feel. Great build and excellent falling hook.
12. 0:00 - 1:30: Very soft atmosphere with vamped toybox melody.
12. 2:03 - 4:12: Haunting, plodding, low-range vox with scattered, pounding perc.
|1.||Breathing Bull||7.||Bible And Bird|
|2.||Winter Shaker||8.||Dirty Blue|
|3.||Swedish Purse||9.||Slota Prow Full Armour|
|5.||Whistling Girl||11.||Deerskin Doll|