|Various Artists / Six The Hard Way|
|Album:||Six The Hard Way||Collection:||Reggae|
|Add Date:||2006-10-29||Pull Date:||2006-12-31||Charts:||Reggae/World|
|Week Ending:||31 Dec||24 Dec||17 Dec||3 Dec||26 Nov||19 Nov||12 Nov||5 Nov|
|1.||May 22, 2013:||Minding The Gap |
Armagideon Time, Ya Ho
|4.||Dec 30, 2006:||Carrots & Sticks... But Mostly Sticks |
|2.||Sep 24, 2008:||Emphysema For Emphasis |
|5.||Dec 19, 2006:||New World Disorder |
|3.||Mar 03, 2008:||Emphysema For Emphasis |
|6.||Dec 14, 2006:||Carrots & Sticks... But Mostly Sticks |
[coll]: Six the Hard Way (Heartbeat/Studio One)|
Reviewed by Sadie O, 10/23/06
Three songs each by 6 Rock Steady/Roots Reggae artists, produced by Clement Dodd. Most are from 1967-68, except the Willie Williams cuts, which are from 1978. The early cuts have a great classic rock steady sound, and are good introductions to bands that didn’t get much play here in the US.
No FCCs. The Viceroys cuts alone make the comp worthwhile.
1. **midtempo rock steady, tenor lead vocals and backing harmonies. Love song, so innocent sounding.
2. *downtempo rock steady skank, easy to dance to.
3. **somewhat downtempo sufferer’s choice style lover’s rock
4. **classic downtempo rock steady sound, great vocal duo, hard times song.
5. ***big rock steady hit (sort of defined the genre), repetitive tune but fun.
6. **somewhat uptempo, nice bubbling bass line, sweet unrequited love song.
7. *a bit uptempo, vocal trio, love song
8. **a bit uptempo, sounds like it was recorded in a bathroom, but that’s a good thing in early Jamaican music.
9. ***slightly uptempo, beautiful harmonies
10. **nice midtempo shuffle with interesting keyboard bit.
11. *downtempo, love story
12. ***midtempo love story, lovely male vocals.
13. ****midtempo rock steady, upful message and doo-wop harmonies.
14. ***midtempo roots rock skank, Rastafarian lyrics
15. ****midtempo rock steady, fun song about pirates. Arrrrh!
16. ***It’s the original Armagideon Time – again. Includes dub version.
17. ***uptempo reggae, message song, lovely vocals. Includes dub.
18. **uptempo reggae, message song, harmonies, sweet and upbeat.