|Various Artists / Ras Portraits: Dub|
|Album:||Ras Portraits: Dub||Collection:||Reggae|
|Label:||Ras Records Inc.|
|Add Date:||2006-12-17||Pull Date:||2007-02-18||Charts:||RPM/Electronica, Reggae/World|
|Week Ending:||18 Feb||11 Feb||28 Jan||21 Jan||14 Jan||7 Jan||31 Dec||24 Dec|
|1.||Jul 22, 2009:||Signal to Noise |
International Farmer Dub
|4.||Jan 27, 2007:||New World DIsorder |
I'm Leaving Dub
|2.||Feb 17, 2007:||New World Disorder |
Sky Gazer Dub
|5.||Jan 25, 2007:||public noize racket |
Live As One Dub
|3.||Feb 10, 2007:||New World Disorder |
Praise Jah Dub
|6.||Jan 20, 2007:||New World Disorder |
Sky Gazer Dub
[coll]: Ras Portraits: Dub (RAS)|
Reviewed by Sadie O., 12/12/06
Excellent dub collection, with a fair amount of electronica involved. The basic pattern seems to be a somewhat downtempo skank riddim, with the last several seconds being random electronica and some sort of electronically mangled vocals ranting about something crucial. Tracks are produced to run together, so you can put on continuous play.
No FCCs detected. Lots of really good tracks here (mostly fairly similar, to be honest) – I like 16 best cause it has noises I dig…
1. 1:35 phone ringing, tones and random dubby noises, male announcer talking about dub.
2. 4:24 ***classic Pablo – midtempo skank with melodica, a bit mysterious and exotic.
3. 4:25 **random bits of talking and electronica, then slightly downtempo skank with echo-y vocals, bit of lecture on dub, lots of electronic noises and random stuff.
4. 3:43 **very slow, minimalist skank, ends with several seconds of random noises and bit of talking in Spanish
5. 4:57 **downtempo minimalist skank, prominent bass. Lots of interesting changes and bits, nice percussion.
6. 3:52 ***extremely cool syncopated riddim.
7. 2:54 ***slightly downtempo skank with horns, bits of vocals from a major hit, gnarly electronics. Music runs down several seconds from end, bit of dubbed up preaching.
8. 4:37 **very downtempo skank with electronic blurps and bleeps, electronic voices.
9. 3:58 ***downtempo minimalist skank with electronics, fun sound. Bits of vocals and preaching. Music cuts out several seconds from end, fake announcement of nuclear disaster.
10. 4:16 * lots of echos and interesting sounds.
11. 4:15 *** lots of horns, as well as the usual random oddness. Fair bit of highly recognizable vocals. Many seconds of no music and random talking at end.
12. 4:43 * lots of bits of vocals
13. 3:40 **midtempo with lots of good noises – no vocals, sorry.
14. 4:12 ***phat downtempo sound, lots of keyboards and electronics. Last several seconds are random electronica and chords.
15. 3:50 ***midtempo stepping razor riddim, mostly drum and bass with bits of keyboards and stuff. Nice horns towards end, and a full 30 seconds of random electronics at very end.
16. 5:13 ****starts and stops a bit, then settles into midtempo groove with nice juicy sound. 25 seconds of quiet and oddness and preaching at end.
17. 4:16 ***nicely syncopated midtempo riddim. Last 30 seconds have choir sounds and oddness.
18. 4:05 ***long random intro, then very downtempo skank, fair bit of preaching, which is fairly amusing. 10 seconds of odd at end.