Easy Star All-Stars – Radiodread (Easy Star)
Reviewed by Sadie O., 1/5/07
Dub/Reggae remake of Radiohead’s “OK Computer” featuring some amazing guest singers. Impressive follow-up to their “Dub Side of the Moon.” This is probably going to be huge – fortunately the musicianship is excellent, as are most of the fine line-up of singers.
No FCCs detected (many lyrics hard to make out); 5 and 13 my faves.
1. ***midtempo skank with big electric guitar, sweet vibrato-laden vocals by Horace Andy.
2. ***subdued downtempo nyahbinghi drums, extremely pretty female vocals. Turns into midtempo skank with upbeat horns. Ends up ska. Whew!
3. *very downtempo dubby skank with melodica, male modern soul vocals.
4. ***somewhat downtempo stepping razor skank, gorgeous male vocals by Sugar Minott. Dubby and mysterious.
5. ****happy upbeat rock steady skank with horns and Toots Hibbert. Toots can preach any kinda nonsense and you have to believe!
6. **midtempo skank with fun noises and dubby bits, long electronic ending.
7. *spoken Jamaican robot, random noises and snare.
8. ***midtempo skank with keyboards and Morgan Heritage’s nice combination of voices.
9. **electronic noises intro, then downtempo dubby skank with big foreboding sounds, very cinematic, cool female vocals. random trumpet and electronics for more than the last 30 seconds.
10. **somewhat downtempo pleasant bubble, pretty vocals by a premier Jamaican trio, subversive lyrics.
11. **quite downtempo dubby skank with bass and electronics, pretty male vocals by Frankie Paul and lots of harmonies. Gets very downbeat and dubby for last minute.
12. ***very downtempo nyahbinghi with horns, male vocals from Israel Vibration. Switches to a midtempo bubble.
13. ****gnarly superdub of track 4, very downtempo
14. ***bass and beeps intro, then midtempo dub skank.