|Various Artists / Punk Riddim (Spyda Web Dancehall Volume 1)|
|Album:||Punk Riddim (Spyda Web Dancehall Volume 1)||Collection:||Reggae|
|Artist:||Various Artists||Added:||Jan 2007|
|Label:||Spyda Web Records|
|Add Date:||2007-01-21||Pull Date:||2007-03-25||Charts:||Reggae/World|
|Week Ending:||Mar 18||Mar 11||Mar 4||Feb 25||Feb 18||Feb 11||Feb 4||Jan 28|
|1.||Nov 19, 2011:||Music Casserole |
|4.||Mar 05, 2007:||87252 |
|2.||Mar 17, 2007:||New World Disorder |
Make Up Your Mind
|5.||Mar 03, 2007:||New World Disorder |
Ruff In Here
|3.||Mar 10, 2007:||New World Disorder |
|6.||Feb 24, 2007:||New World Disorder |
Ruff In Here
[coll]: Punk Riddim – Spyda Web Dancehall vol. 1|
Reviewed by Sadie O., 1/15/07
Electronic riddim with a variety of dancehall toasters. One of the increasingly popular format of using one riddim and having several artists do their vocal thing over. This is a really great riddim, but I still wouldn’t try to listen to the whole CD straight through!
Riddim: midtempo dancehall skank, extremely bass-heavy, growly noises.
No FCCs detected, although most lyrics are pretty hard to make out. No really bad tracks, but some stand out more than others.
1. 3:54 ***a bit of yelling before music starts. Dual toasters, strong dancehall style rap.
2. 3:39 ***fairly distinctive vocal style, ghetto times lyrics
3. 3:52 ***tenor singing/toasting, love gone wrong lyrics
4. 3:49 ****absolutely hyperactive rap – fun. This must be the studio main man/ original cut.
5. 3:45 **fairly standard dancehall toast, armagideon lyrics. Sounds like they edited out some naughty bits – but they’re Jamaican naughty bits, like “bumba clot”…
6. 3:54 ***tenor singing/toasting with harmonies, love lyrics. Reminiscent of Gregory Isaacs.
7. 3:47 **dancehall toast, revolutionary rasta lyrics.
8. 3:51 **conversation intro, dual toasters, hard times lyrics.
9. 3:39 *more dancehall – not bad, but not terribly distinctive.
10. 3:48 ****dancehall, crazed vocals, revolution lyrics.
11. 3:47 ****baritone singing, harmonies, riddim a bit subdued, good sound, anti-gun lyrics.
12. 3:49 ***interesting – one very sweet singer (love song), one guy totally and openly on crack. Pretty funny!
13. 3:53 ***distinctive hoarse dancehall
14. 3:48 ***strong dancehall toasting/singing about greatness of pot.
15. 3:47 *dancehall toasting about foreplay, apparently.
16. 3:46 **dual dancehall vocals, rasta lyrics. (sounds like they may diss on gays at one point…)
17. 3:49 **very stoned dancehall vocals, informer lyrics. Actually pretty funny…
18. 4:08 ****instrumental “version” – just the great riddim with a few extra bloops thrown in. Works for me!