|+/- / Let's Build A Fire|
|Album:||Let's Build A Fire||Collection:||Out for Review|
|Label:||Absolutely Kosher Records|
|Add Date:||2007-01-21||Pull Date:||2007-03-25|
|Week Ending:||25 Mar||18 Mar||4 Mar||25 Feb||18 Feb||11 Feb||28 Jan|
|1.||Wed, 21 Mar 07:||canuck|
I once was Canadian
|4.||Thu, 15 Mar 07:||Riina & Murray|
|2.||Tue, 20 Mar 07:||Ricky Fitz|
Prego Means Please
|5.||Wed, 28 Feb 07:||Rob|
I once got Canadian radio
|3.||Fri, 16 Mar 07:||Sarah Bellum|
the jewish alternative
|6.||Tue, 27 Feb 07:||canuck|
At the Cafe Canadian
Eclectic indie rock from this New York band. Typically male voiced. Some repeated interesting rhythms like you might hear in math rock. It’s hard to compare this to other bands because it’s quite varied. It’s impressive that an album this eclectic is good across the board. |
My picks: 1, 3, 4, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 13 FCC: Clean
1. slowish, old-timey sounding (like from a record) at the beginning. Organ, trumpet and voice. mid-way goes into normal production values. Guitars over the previous instruments
2. med-fast. rhythmic tapping and guitar. full band enters slowly. Stays soft and subdued till it gets suddenly loud with a little over a minute left.
3. starts w/ ambient (bird) sounds. Med-fast acoustic guitar and fuzz guitar. mix of subdued (acoustic guitar) and rock (fuzz and drums) except for a fully rock chorus
4. nice soft-strummed acoustic guitar song with reverby vocals. accordion and vibraphone in the middle. More instruments (strings, mandolin) as the song goes on.
5. upbeat pop with math-rocky rhythms. clapping! With female harmony vocals.
6. dreamy pop.hypnotic guitar and piano riffs.
7. medium-slow with guitar and glockenspiel and light drums. Breakdown in the middle and builds up.
8. med-fast. upbeat with falsetto vocals. nice banjo part midway through the song.
9. jaunty. Switching between bass and guitars. Off beat guitar parts. Steady drums. Disorienting. Settles into a steady rock song.
10. med-fast. upbeat acoustic guitar, vocals. vibes and light drums later.
11. fade-in intro. Vocals over a wall of rhythmic guitars, etc. sounds a little like MBV or maybe Bottom of the Hudson. Fake ending/ breakdown in the middle.
12. med-fast. down-beat rim clicks. Constant, but low-level guitars.
13. low-level droney sound. Reverby vocals. light, high piano and strong, low piano.