|Soldier, Dave / Chamber Music|
|Artist:||Soldier, Dave||Added:||Jan 2007|
|Add Date:||2007-07-01||Pull Date:||2007-09-02|
|Week Ending:||Aug 5||Jul 22|
|1.||Aug 02, 2007:||Emphysema For Emphasis |
Hockets & Inventions: Invention 1, Hockets & Inventions: Hocket 2 Fuelgen, Hockets & Inventions: Invention 1, Hockets & Inventions: Hocket 1 Jordan
|3.||Jul 20, 2007:||Memory Select |
East St. Louis, 1968
|2.||Jul 21, 2007:||Cognitive Overload |
East St. Louis, 1968
A wide range of Soldier’s chamber music – the guy who did the music for Komar and Melamid’s People’s Choice Music, the Thai Elephant Orchestra, and the cd of kids making hip hop. Most compositions are structurally free, flowing, though some are surprisingly boring and mediocre.|
1. Mellow. Plucking, laid back classical-sounding, bluegrassy and asian. Great lines.
2. Slow. Close, almost dissonant harmonies.
*3. Syncopated blues and scritchy scratching. Looser than the previous movements, freely changing.
*4. Funk sounds, viola, samples of kids on a playground?, orchestral stuff... all twisted together, collage-like. Is a man meowing at the beginning?? Harmonica toward the end.
5-9 Solo jazz sax, sounds stiff, tired. Syncopated. 6 is singsongy and catchy, and 9 has some Phillip Glass-like repetitive loops that are nice. Oh I get it I guess - there's a concept - a baroque dance suite that incorporates North American powwow dances.
*10. Accordion, chirping birds, silly electronics, samples.
11. Solo bass flute - very quiet, kinda jazzy.
*1. Soulful violin/piano duet. Slow, classical/jazz, pretty melodies, some dischordant chords – mellow but tense.
2. Slow dance, beautiful albeit almost confusing rhythmic play, somehow like Philip Glass. A little boring/flat. Last minute+ very long held chords.
*3. Square dance-y, unique, goofy accordion and sometimes dissonant.
4-9. Harspichord, cello, violin – great ostinatos, short.
4. Slow lilting waltz, would be nice interlude.
5. Arioso – minor, songlike violin.
6. Whimsical, bluesy, nice harpsichord.
*7. Repetitive, driving, fast.
8. Light dance, mid-fast.
9. Drawn out dissonant chords, very slow.
10-21. Short organ pieces. Not much to differentiate them. Somewhere between baroque, serialist, and free jazz.