|Noland, Gary / 24 Postludes For Piano, Vol. 2|
|Album:||24 Postludes For Piano, Vol. 2||Collection:||Classical|
|Label:||North Pacific Music|
|Add Date:||2007-02-18||Pull Date:||2007-04-22||Charts:||Classical/Experimental|
|Week Ending:||22 Apr||15 Apr||25 Mar||18 Mar||11 Mar||25 Feb|
|1.||Sat, 12 Oct 19:||friendly acupuncturist|
the Acupuncture Hour
|4.||Sat, 16 Oct 10:||Eme O|
|2.||Wed, 12 Dec 12:||miss information|
|5.||Wed, 18 Apr 07:||chizzy|
Eran Mukamel (MCCFMK)
|3.||Fri, 19 Nov 10:||Marc Anderson|
KZSU Jazz Hour
|6.||Mon, 09 Apr 07:||Romain|
Mixed Up Class
Solo piano, unique - cross between classical, jazz, ragtime, and avant garde. Are these any good? I think so. Satie is a good comparison. Virtuosic playing, almost sounds like a player piano at times. In a way it’s making fun of “difficult” music.... i think... The shorter tracks are easier to take – 5, 6, 10. 8 is a good “what the fuck” track. For some reason I’m in love with track 7. Quotes below are from the liner notes.|
*1. Starts slow and meandering, after one minute starts some flirty runs that remind me of Ligeti’s piano etudes. Compositionally pretty damn cool – free.
2. Chopin or Schumann throwback.
3. Teetering, off-balance, poking at the keyboard in clusters and jerky runs.
4. Mysterious wandering – is apparently a tone poem about a guy who is a file clerk by day and anti-corporate saboteur by night.
*5. Quick, jerky, rockin’. Great chord very near the end.
6. Rythmic, melodically disjointed, a little bit like a less “out” Cecil Taylor. Yeah mull that one over.
*7. Kookily passionate. Lots of ragtime-ish riffs, kind of romantically frilly. Holds my attention if only for the insane technical piano playing.
*8. “aimed to induce a quasi-Sartrian nausea”
10. “Disillusionment. Greyness. Doldrums”
11. Kinda mechanical and fugue-like but whimsical. Neat quickie runs. Not sure I can take the whole 6 minutes but it’s fun for a while. According to the liner notes, it might be full of allusions to music I’m not familiar with.
12. Like a church organist who decides to mess with the congregation. Funny.