|Lady & Bird / Lady & Bird|
|Add Date:||2007-04-08|| ||Pull Date:||2007-06-10|| |
|Week Ending:||10 Jun||3 Jun||13 May||6 May||29 Apr||22 Apr||15 Apr|
LADY & BIRD – “LADY & BIRD” |
(yellow tangerine records)
atmospheric sweet french & icelandic pop. keren ann and bardi johannson (he of icelandic band bang gang) have almost the same voice, soprano, tender and whispered. here they duet on soft, melodic mood music, including two covers. following the story of lady & bird throughout the cd’s two storytelling tracks (2 and 10) can be cute and reminiscent of serge gainsbourg’s playfulness, but the other tracks stand out more. (this album is subtitled ‘a children’s story for adults.’) lady & bird’s strength is their vocals’ haunting smoothness and nice use of subtle background acoustic guitars and keyboards. apparently johannson produced the first erotic tv show in iceland. perhaps this album gets some of its tenderness from his insights? hm. for fans of twee, french pop, quiet ballads, and cute french accents in general. - joanna s.
recommended tracks starred, = 1, 3, 4, 8
*1. (3:35) slow. kiddie keyboard, sweet girl/boy vox, plaintive lyrics. “do what i do..”
2. (3:09) cheesy keyboard intro, distorted voiceovers, narrating a ballad, sounds like a soap opera, mid-tempo.
*3. (3:03) cover of the velvet underground, it’s sweet and french-accented in a nice way, boy-girl duet, whispered-sung. pretty.
*4. (3:42) slow. starts with sweet/sad flutes, gentle guitars. the best example of the strengths of lady & bird.
5. (2:55) cover of the song made famous as the theme of M*A*S*H* done here as a happier, more powerfully harmonic version. nicely done, but too happy for this song
6. (5:07) sad instrumental track with electric accordion sounds? And occasional high pitched distorted voices, reminds me of serge gainsbourg’s background music
7. (3:26) upbeat keyboards, sweet girl meows leading to relaxing, harmonious vocals. but ‘to the break of dawn’ makes me think of beastie boys or the big butts song, weird.
*8. (4:07) chill downtempo whisper-sung duet with sweet/sad chorus. could be a tv theme song for some kind show with detectives in love (?).
9. (4:11) haunting whispered girl vox, sad, over slowish keys and a tropicalia-influenced beat
10. (8:59) robot kids’ voices (lady & bird) in dialogue over soft strings/accordion/keys. cute and weird. ends at -4:24 and pauses until -3:49, when it’s an acoustic reprise of track one.