|Various Artists / Gypsy Groove|
|Label:||Putumayo World Music|
|Add Date:||2007-03-25||Pull Date:||2007-05-27||Charts:||Reggae/World|
|Week Ending:||27 May||20 May||13 May||6 May||29 Apr||22 Apr||15 Apr||8 Apr|
|1.||Wed, 11 Jan 17:||Decca|
At the Cafe Bohemian
|4.||Tue, 11 Jun 13:||Sunshine|
Sunshine . . . in the Afternoon
|2.||Wed, 02 Nov 16:||Decca|
At the Cafe Bohemian
|5.||Fri, 18 Dec 09:||Yumpop!|
Spherical Sounds with Yumpop
|3.||Wed, 16 Sep 15:||Labiba|
|6.||Thu, 31 Jul 08:||Sunshine|
Sunshine ... in the Afternoon
[coll]: Gypsy Groove|
Reviewed by Sadie O., 3/15/07
Roma meets hip hop/dance/electronica, from a wide range of sources.
As usual, excellent documentation, so by all means read it if you can.
No FCCs. Everything is worthwhile, 11 is terrific.
1. **15 second zither intro, then midtempo polka for nightclubs with female vocals, violin and a smidge of electronica.
2. **bright and perky brass band, adds instruments and energy as it goes along. Instrumental, midtempo, ooom pah (but in a nice way).
3. *slow waltz with strings and female vocals, then male hip hop rap.
4. **klezpolka goes uptown for a hip hop infusion. Midtempo, both male and female vocals, clarinet.
5. **funky, slightly downtempo beat, klezmerish horns. Some dubby bits, mostly very relaxed despite danceworthy beat.
6. ***midtempo hip hop beat with a bit of bhangra and electronica as well as traditional instrumentation. Sweet male vocals, very compelling groove.
7. **electronic dance beat, some nice trad accordion, male vocals in French.
8. ***uptempo dance beat with some trad instruments, male and female vocals, Turkish tune filtered through Hungarian roots and modern music.
9. *mellow acoustic guitar intro, male vocals, uptempo galloping but light beat, sweet and pretty, non-challenging, some kid vocals.
10. ***upbeat, bouncy, lots of energy but not loud, female vocals. Male gypsy-style skat singing.
11. ****oooh, nice! Uptempo and upbeat complex syncopation, mostly drum and guitar, bit of belly dance feel, some mysterious violin. Cool!