|Antibalas / Security|
|Add Date:||2007-03-18||Pull Date:||2007-05-20||Charts:||Reggae/World|
|Week Ending:||May 13||May 6||Apr 29||Apr 22||Apr 8||Apr 1||Mar 25|
|1.||Apr 29, 2023:||Music Casserole |
|4.||Dec 17, 2013:||Sunshine on a Full Moon Afternoon |
|2.||Mar 28, 2019:||audio ambrosia |
|5.||Nov 12, 2013:||Sunshine . . . in the Afternoon |
|3.||Feb 22, 2014:||Funk to Folk |
|6.||Mar 09, 2013:||Music Casserole |
Antibalas – Security|
Reviewed by Sadie O., 3/14/07
Funky Latin-tinged Afrobeat Jazz from Brooklyn, with unapologetically political extemporaneous diatribe lyrics in tracks 2 and 3. Lots of changes, layers of sound, long jazz-funk jams.
No FCCs detected. I like 2-5, and especially 3.
1. **silence for 10 seconds. Upbeat horn-driven, rather Latin syncopation (when there is a beat), lots of silverware beaten on pans. Jazzy bass and clavas around 2 minutes in. Clanky things at 3 ½ minutes in, keyboard chords, more big horns.
2. ***electronic tweets and nervous bass for first few seconds. Uptempo complex syncopation, bongos, groovy Latin funk mood. Looned out sax. Male vocals for last 4-5 minutes, deriding GOP.
3. ****downtempo funky funk, Earth-Wind--&-Fire-ish, but mellow with chimes. VERY groovy. Male vocals start after 6.5 minutes.
4. ***super-relaxed samba-on-the-beach, funky beat. Odd minor key chords in background.
5. ***uptempo and upbeat Latin funk with repetitive riff, jazzy vocals. Ironic political lyrics.
6. *solo trumpet and percussion intro, then downbeat midtempo syncopated slightly funky beat. Lots of bass and organ mid-song, then horns with no beat, then pretty chimes… Suddenly goes all uptempo and full sound. Instrumental.
7. *horn flourish, then ultra-relaxed, very slow samba groove. Ends about 10 seconds shy – very chill.
|2.||Filibuster X||5.||War Hero|