|Calderon, Tego / Underdog / El Subestimado, The|
|Album:||Underdog / El Subestimado, The||Collection:||World|
|Artist:||Calderon, Tego||Added:||Mar 2007|
|Add Date:||2007-04-08||Pull Date:||2007-06-10||Charts:||Reggae/World|
|Week Ending:||Jun 10||Jun 3||May 27||May 20||May 13||May 6||Apr 29||Apr 22|
|1.||Sep 15, 2013:||New World Disorder |
Llora, Llora (Feat. Oscar D'leon)
|4.||Jan 19, 2013:||New World Disorder |
|2.||Aug 25, 2013:||New World Disorder |
|5.||Dec 24, 2011:||Blue World Disorder |
|3.||Jun 08, 2013:||Music Casserole |
|6.||Dec 30, 2010:||New Blues Disorder Micromarathon |
Calderon, Tego – El Subestimado (the Underdog)|
Reviewed by Sadie O., 3/27/07
Money can’t buy better Reggaeton – this is the POOP kids, look no further! Tego has always been known as the conscience of Reggaeton – now it’s obvious he’s the most creative artist around, as well. There’s some old school salsa, some blues, some reggae, some dancehall, and some kinda stuff that ain’t even been invented yet.
The liner notes have English explanations of each track, the last half of each paragraph.
FCCs on track 10 and 21, dammit. My faves are 3, 9, 18 and 21. I’ve pretty much given out stars as if there are three invisible stars understood with each one…
1. 2:25 **”uh”, pause, then midtempo salsa groove, apparently live. Reggaeton vocals, but rather more complex rhythm.
2. 2:53 *** intro w/ crazy vocals that sound like Edith Piaf speeded up and piano; vocals recur throughout song, midtempo Reggaeton.
3. 3:41 ****slow, blues guitar intro, downtempo Reggaeton beat, nice fat production. It’s ok to dance to this, even if you’re white. You KNOW you want to.
4. 3:37 **more slow, slinky Reggaton – what a killer beat! Some English vocals on this one – fun dance stuff.
5. 2:55 *midtempo, more “classic” Reggaeton.
6. 1:26 Interlude – mostly telephone conversation in Spanish. Lots of laughter.
7. 4:35 **downtempo, complex Reggaeton. Super fly.
8. 2:39 **midtempo, sweet beat.
9. 3:29 ****trumpets intro, midtempo salsa, that combines really smoothly with Reggaeton – sweet sound. Shit, this is the best party I’ve been to in years!
10. 3:15 FCC “fuck” ***Reggae bubble and inhaling spliff intro, then midtempo Reggae, a few lyrics in English. This would be such a great track!
11. 3:56 **slow riddim – not Reggaeton, but cool. There’s a bit of a “Shaft” feel, somehow.
12. 3:54 *atmospheric electronica intro, then midtempo classic Reggaeton. Definitely intense feel – apparently about fighting between exes…
13. 3:06 **subdued but dramatic intro, fat midtempo Reggaeton.
14. 0:33 *interlude – hand drums and solo singing.
15. 5:11 ***damn, it’s a cumbia! Whee! Close your eyes and pretend it’s Buena Vista Social Club. Old school, damn well done.
16. 3:24 *sweet flute intro, then downtempo relaxed beat.
17. 3:04 **dramatic downtempo Reggaeton beat, big sound – go ahead and dance. Nobody’s looking – I promise.
18. 2:44 ****oh, such a cool beat I can’t stand it… Lots of funk in this mix.
19. 1:17 *interlude, call and response (very African influenced) and hand drums.
20. 2:24 **swingy cowbells and vocals intro, nice downtempo salsa beat with lots of horns, ultra-cool.
21. 3:23 FCC (fleeting, but it's there - "fuck") *****dancehall meets Reggaeton – Buju Banton and Tego Calderon – you can’t beat this with a stick! Two sticks! Murdah dem!
22. 3:16 ***rock and roll guitar, midtempo riddim, not quite Reggaeton, great.
23. 4:11 **downtempo Reggaeton with tinkly pianos.